New York Journals

New York in a Day

A July 2004 trip to New York by Jaysour

World Trade Center Site Photo, New York, New York More Photos
Quote: My family and I had a week-long East Coast trip which included PA, NJ, and NY. We met friends who live in New Jersey. Because we had other places to see and events to attend earlier in the trip, we had only a day for New York City.

New York in a Day

World Trade Center Site Photo, New York, New York
What wasn't a highlight in New York! We started by taking a train from New Jersey to Ground Zero. It was truly a humbling experience and really hit both my wife and I as to the magnitude of this date in history. We then headed to the fish market near the Financial District. We visited the United Nations Building, Empire State Building, Rockefeller Center, Grand Central Station, Times Square, and Penn Station (Madison Square Garden). I can honestly say that the most exciting part of the day was just being there: absorbing the city, the people, and the surroundings, from the hot dog vendors to the taxi cab drivers. I just enjoyed being there in the hustle and bustle, and nowhere ...Read More
This place was a hoot. No, it is not in New York, but I believe it was at one time. First off, the price range is for a dinner for two and then some.

The server anything from cabbage rolls to corned beef sandwiches, but these are no ordinary sandwiches. Our friends got the corned beef, and I dare say that it was 1.5 feet high and just that wide around. And with that came a bowlful of huge new potatoes. Check it out.

So for a quite out-of-the-way place, try Harold's, and don't forget the pickle bar.

Harold's New York Deli
3050 Woodbridge Avenue
New York, New York 08837

World Trade Center Site

Attraction | "Ground Zero"

World Trade Center Site Photo, New York, New York
We pulled into the station from New Jersey that is right below Ground Zero. It was an amazing sight and such a somber part of the trip. We walked the perimeter of the site, and the sheer size of it takes your breath away.

Memorials were still visible, especially on the west end of it, where there were badges from all those who helped and fell in the line of duty.

It is a sight you never wanted to but had to see. My wife had seen the Twin Towers and ventured up in them before 9/11, so it was an even more amazing trip to see what was left.

World Trade Center Site
Vesey Street, West Side Highway, Liberty And Church Streets
New York

The day we went, it was raining and foggy. Adding the fact that the wait was long, we decided to move onto our next spot.

The funny thing about it was that I never realized I was right on top of the Empire State Building until our friends pointed it out.

The mural in the front lobby was very neat.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on February 10, 2005

Empire State Building
350 Fifth Avenue at 34th Street
New York 10118

We stopped in Grand Central Station for a quick bagel with cream cheese at one of the local shops.

The inside of the station is just gorgeous, with all the intricate detail, from the marble steps to the huge windows overlooking all the commuters.

If you have only a couple of minutes, this is certainly a place to check out while in NYC.

Grand Central Terminal
87 E 42nd St
New York, New York

Staten Island Ferry

Attraction | "Staten Island Ferry / Statue of Liberty"

We visited this area from the New Jersey side the day before our trip to New York. The ferry ride was nice and peaceful and allowed for some great skyline pictures of New York City. The view on the New Jersey side is amazing, even on a drizzly Sunday morning. We took the first stop to Ellis Island. This museum contained so much history about those who passed through here into the United States. The museum and exhibits are both interesting and enjoyable, and you might just learn a thing or two. Within the museum were exhibits about how immigration breaks out by country, time period, men vs. women, etc., as well as what those immigrants had with them or how they dressed. ...Read More

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on February 10, 2005

Staten Island Ferry
Whitehall Ferry Terminal
New York, New York 10004

Rockefeller Center

Rockefeller Center was a site we stopped by just to say that we saw it. Our friends pointed out where the Christmas tree stood and where the ice skating was during the winter months.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on February 10, 2005

Rockefeller Center
49th to 50th streets
New York, New York 10020

Times Square

Times Square was just a cool place. Seeing it on TV every New Year's Eve does not do it justice in regards to the sheer size of the buildings and signage all over the area. We entered Times Square around 4pm, so the place was starting to buzz. The sidewalks were jam-packed with people (tourists and native New Yorkers alike). The best thing I can say is to find a spot on the island and just snap away. When you get back home, you will see how cool the area really is. It is lined with small stores, souvenir shops, eateries, and the like. Check out the M and M store just on the outskirts of the Times Square area. One again, New York is a walking town, and this is certainly...Read More

Times Square