Durango Journals

SW Colorado

A January 2005 trip to Durango by cuindurango

Historic Strater Hotel Photo, Durango, Colorado More Photos
Quote: During our week-long trip to Durango, we skied at Purgatory/DMR, Wolf Creek, and Telluride.

Historic Strater Hotel

Hotel | "Strater Hotel"

Historic Strater Hotel Photo, Durango, Colorado
Right in the center of historic downtown Durango, the Strater offers a real taste of the Old West. The friendly and professional staff goes out of its way to assist in any way possible. Home of the Diamond Belle Saloon--a must-see for the authentic Western atmosphere and local musicians. All of the downtown conveniences are within easy walking distance, and the best part is that winter is the "off" season in Durango, so prices are very reasonable. I've stayed here many times, and it's a delight every time.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on February 11, 2005

Historic Strater Hotel
699 MAIN AVE
Durango, Colorado 81301
970-247-4431

Durango

This is probably my favorite place to ski, and I've skied pretty extensively in both New England and the West. There is great scenery and friendly people. The only thing lacking is more difficult terrain for experts. I never stood in a line all week, they had comfortable temperatures, and this year they have the best snow/conditions I've seen in the last 7 to 8 years. Durango is a great town to visit—you'll need a rental car to get from town to the various resorts.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on February 7, 2005