Las Vegas Journals

Las Vegas Convention Entertaining

A January 2005 trip to Las Vegas by ballhawk

Quote: This review is about my time taking out customers in Las Vegas to various bars and restaurants and shopping locations when I go to a trade show.

Las Vegas Convention Entertaining

I went to a nice restaraunt, various drinking places, shopping areas, and casinos.

Become a member of the hotel's frequent traveler program before you get there, and preferably before you make your reservation. It will get you into faster registration lines, special consideration at check-in, and maybe an upgrade.

I used the monorail and taxis.

Hilton Grand Vacations Club (HGVC) on the Las Vegas Strip

Hotel | "Hilton Grand Vacations Club"

I stayed in the north tower and am a member of the Hilton Honors club. It got me in the express check-in line and maybe a better view, but I’m not sure what else. I could not smell a hint of smoke in my nonsmoking room. The elevators were fast, and I could not hear a sound out of the other rooms. The curtains were thick, and my room was dark until I opened the drapes. The bathroom was bright and the tub was big, but the shower head was low for a moderately tall person. The carpet and furnishings were comfortable and modern. They even turned down my sheets and gave me a chocolate at night. I wish they had given me real hangers, as I hate the ones that are connected to the bar. The convention I ...Read More

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on February 5, 2005

Hilton Grand Vacations Club (HGVC) on the Las Vegas Strip
2650 Las Vegas Blvd. S.
Las Vegas, Nevada 89109

Michaels Doorway

Restaurant | "Michaels "

This restaurant is supposed to be one of the nicest in Las Vegas. The staff was more than accommodating to our every need and really did make sure that they were not hovering over us. I had a steak and my guests had the sea bass, a shrimp dish, and other specials. Side dishes are big enough to pass around. Guests enjoyed the creamed corn. I liked the spinach. We did not have wine. The relish tray they brought before the main course was huge.

I think the bill for six of us eating and having mixed drinks and dessert came to about $900 with tip. I can't think of one negative thing to say. It was all good.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on February 5, 2005

Michaels Doorway
2540 Dayspring Street
Las Vegas, Nevada 89128

Joe's Crab Shack

I had dinner with four other people who all had been this restaurant before. The original is in Miami, and there is another one in Chicago.

They have a special type of crab claw here that is served cold. You order them in medium and large orders. I went along with the group, and they brought out the crab claws pre-cracked on one big tray. After you get the hang of it, they are pretty easy to eat - and good. We ordered some desserts and passed them around. They were excellent also.

Joe's Crab Shack
1991 N Rainbow Blvd
Las Vegas, Nevada 89108

Las Vegas Premium Outlets

Attraction | "Shopping at the outlet mall"

We took a taxi to the Premium Outlet Mall, and it’s about $10 to get there from the Hilton. There are about 150 shops, and it was a nice day, so we walked around in the outdoor mall area and looked around. There were some regional items that I would not see in our local outlet mall, as I was just at one in Chicago with the Nike outlet and they had different stuff.

There were a bunch of taxis waiting to take us back, as a concern was, if we got there, how would we get back.

We did the whole thing in about 2 hours, but I think a professional shopper could spend 5 or more hours there.

Las Vegas Premium Outlets
875 South Grand Central Parkway
Las Vegas, Nevada 89106

The Forum Shops at Caesars Palace

Attraction | "Forum Shops"

There are a couple of hundred high-end shops with trendy clothes and knick-knacks. The clothes, purses, jewelry, etc., are about double what I normally consider, leading me to believe the people buying here just hit a jackpot.

It was nice to see the fancy stuff, but you can only gawk for so long before you need a drink. This is a good thing, as there are a couple of bars and restaurants mixed in with the high-end shops.

The Forum Shops at Caesars Palace
3500 Las Vegas Boulevard South
Las Vegas, Nevada 89109

The monorail in Las Vegas goes between hotels on one side of the Strip (the MGM side). Don’t confuse this with the smaller and shorter free trams that go between some of the related hotels. This train costs about $3 per ride, and you can buy a $20 ten-ride ticket or an unlimited daily pass. There are no transfers. I was out late and coming from the Bellagio to the Hilton, and to get to the tram, I had to walk to the stop at the Bally/Paris hotel. I did this a couple of times on my trip, and realized that if I went on the street, I saved about 10 minutes of walking through the maze they set up for you to look at all the hotel/casino sites. I’ve stayed at Paris before and am not impressed with ...Read More

About the Writer