Amsterdam Journals

Get Gezelliged with Amstervites

A May 2004 trip to Amsterdam by coloradowanderer

bike Photo, Amsterdam, Netherlands More Photos
Quote: You don't need me to find the numerous historical sights, museums, and attractions of Amsterdam. If you want to relax with locals, eat non-Dutch food, and have an interesting canal ride, read my journal.

Get Gezelliged with Amstervites

bike Photo, Amsterdam, Netherlands
The best thing to do in Amsterdam is to slow down and absorb and experience your surroundings. That's what gezellig (heh-Zel-ick) is all about. Notice how the people can bike while loaded down with children, groceries, and even a computer monitor. Don't walk in the bike path; get out of the way when you hear the bike bells chime. Fantasize about living on a houseboat or moving your belongings into the skinny row houses. Spend hours getting to know locals and you just might run into them on the street again. Watch the giant chess match near Leidseplein. Try herring from the many street vendors. St Christopher Club Canal Cruise operates from Boom Chicago Theater in the Leidseplein. The own...Read More
I can't speak for the main building, as I was housed in a building around the corner and above the Doors bar. After climbing a steep staircase, I opened a creaky door into a large dorm room. There were 10 rickety, lumpy metal bunk beds and cheap wooden lockers. There was also a dirty little shower that never had hot water. The staff in the downstairs bar/smoking lounge can be rude. You pay for the Internet, cheap drinks, and nasty free eggs for breakfast. If you are desperate, which I was, this dump will do in a pinch.

Member Rating 1 out of 5 on April 2, 2005

Bob's Youth Hostel
First tram stop
Amsterdam, Netherlands

This is a charming, out-of-the-way Ethiopian restaurant I read about in the Boom Chicago Guide. The author suggests not ordering from the menu, but instead telling your server how many meat or vegetarian entrees you want. This allows the staff to choose what is fresh and tasty. Upon being seated, I was given a menu, but I immediately returned it and asked for a vegetarian plate. I had never eaten Ethiopian, so I was grateful for the stress-free ordering. During the short wait, I noticed three tables of relaxed locals, chatting in Dutch while sipping beer from wooden bowls and scooping up food with flat bread. A large platter arrived, dotted with colorful mounds of hot and cold items. Without hesi...Read More

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on February 2, 2005

Semhaz Ethopian Restaurant
Marnix Straat 259 near Jordaan District

Top Thai

Following the Boom Chicago guide suggestion once again, I easily found this traditional Thai delight close to but out of the crowded tourist zone. Always on a budget, I choose to order to go for a discount of 20% off. It's a busy, popular location, so expect a wait if you dine there. The specialty sauces matched for each dish also take time to prepare. With a group, you can have the true experience, with appetizers and sampling of each other's choices. Since I was dining alone and in Amsterdam, however, I settled down by a canal to savor my Pad Thai and watch the city flow by.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on February 2, 2005