Quebec City Journals

Winter Getaway in Quebec City

A January 2005 trip to Quebec City by Maral Anoush

Quote: This is a great place to celebrate winter, eat delicious food, and enjoy the beauty in the north.

Winter Getaway in Quebec City

We went to Quebec for a vacation and for the kickoff of the Winter Carnivale. It was very cold, but there was a lot going on due to the festival, which gave us more of an incentive to go out and explore. We were only there for the first night of the Carnivale, but it was worth it. There were snow and ice sculptures to view, music to listen to, and caribous to drink (hot whiskey and wine concoction - not great, but it will keep you warm). We also enjoyed tubing down some small snowy hills that were created for the event! For food, I would strongly recommend eating at D'Orsay's! The staff is very fun (go Tuesdays, Wednesdays, or Thursdays to meet Pistache, who will make your dining experien...Read More
We loved Hotel Manoir Victoria! We stayed in one of the rooms with a fireplace and a Jacuzzi, which really helped us to warm up. The room was very big and the beds were nice and soft. The hotel pool and sauna were a little bit under par.

And there is an attendant that sits in the pool area and makes sure that you shower before entering the pool, shower once you get out, shower before you get into the sauna, and once you get out (she was a bit heavy on the rules). Otherwise, the rest of the hotel was beautiful and conveniently located. We did not eat in any of the hotel restaurants, but they looked very nice.

Hotel Manoir Victoria
44 Cote du Palais
Quebec, QC, Canada G1R 4H8

D'Orsay Restaurant-Pub

Restaurant | "D'Orsay"

We had a great time here! The food was excellent, the atmosphere was romantic, and the staff was fun. If you are a vegetarian, you may want to ask the wait staff when ordering if your entrée has meat, because the pasta I ordered had no mention of meat in it on the menu but arrived with ham. They happily exchanged it for some pasta without meat when I explained that I am a vegetarian.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on January 30, 2005

D'Orsay Restaurant-Pub
65 Rue de Buade
Quebec City, Quebec

Brûlerie Tatum

Restaurant | "Tatum"

Tatum has a great breakfast menu. I believe on weekdays it is served until 11am and on weekends until 2pm. The frittatas are amazing! They are like omelets but have a thin layer of crepe-like batter on the outside. They also have great coffees from around the world.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on January 30, 2005

Brûlerie Tatum
1084 St-Jean St
Quebec, Quebec G1R 1S4
+1 418 692 3900

My husband and I chose to eat here because of other recommendations and because they offer what seems to be a great deal - a full-course meal for only $14 until 5:45pm. However, neither of us was very impressed with the food. The wait staff was great, but they only offer two vegetarian options, which were basically just steamed veggies on rice with cheese. My husband had the meatballs but did not think that they were anything special. The deal is good because of the amount of food you get for the price, but I would probably choose to go elsewhere the next time around.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on January 30, 2005

Aux Anciens Canadiens
34 Rue Saint Louis
Quebec City, Quebec G1R 4P3

Pub Saint-Alexandre

Attraction | "Pub St-Alexandre"

It has a dark and cozy atmosphere, with a fireplace and stage for live music. The drinks are not cheap, but if you go on a night with live music, it is worth it.

Pub Saint-Alexandre
1087 St-Jean St
Quebec, Quebec G1R 1S3
+1 418 694 0015

Cosmos Cafe

Attraction | "Cosmos"

This place has a very cool atmosphere. There are lots of different types of lights hanging from the ceiling and colorful walls. The bar is dark, with wet-looking stacked stones in the background. There were a few large-screen TV's with sports playing. It offers a large food and drink menu. We had the nachos with some beer, and they were great! The crowd seemed mostly younger, although there were a few older people as well.

Cosmos Cafe