Ogunquit Journals

Maine: Ogunquit

An October 2000 trip to Ogunquit by kylebarber

Quote: Things to see and do around Ogunquit in the off-season.

Maine: Ogunquit

Ogunquit is a summer beach resort community, percolating with New England city dwellers who want to get away from it all. But in the off-season, this sleepy little village nearly becomes a ghost town, as businesses and part-time residents pack it in for the colder months. I still had a fun time visiting Ogunquit in October, strolling along the beach on a grey morning with the whole shoreline pretty much to myself. It would be even more ideal as a romantic getaway for two who want to be left alone.Quick Tips: The obvious suggestion is to visit Ogunquit during the warmer summer months, when more businesses and attractions are open to the public and there are other people visiting Ogunquit to...Read More
As far as motels go, the Meadowmere Resort was pretty top notch. The indoor swimming pool and outdoor jacuzzi were nicely designed, the lobby space was attractive and inviting, and they even made an attempt a gym facility. The truth is I had hoped to stay at a bed and breakfast, so my spirits were somewhat deflated when I resigned myself to quit looking and take one of the Meadowmere''s quite affordable weekend promotional rates. Things you should know: my non-smoking room was obviously smoked in many times, rooms facing Route 1 do hear the small amount of traffic that passes by, the gym has about three pieces of old equipment, and the hotel is located at the far end of town...Read More

Meadowmere Resort
74 Main Street
Ogunquit, Maine 03907

Vinny's East Coast Grille

Restaurant | "Vinny's"

This Italian restaurant and bar serves standard Italian pasta dishes, pizza and traditional family restuarnt staples like burgers and sandwiches. The food was pretty good, but the service was poor and ridiculously slow. I was one of only two parties in the restaurant, yet had to wait over ten minutes to place my order, then wait another seven minutes to find out I could not be served what I had ordered. The atmosphere is typical of a pub, though there a number of Marilyn Monroe photos and drawings covering an entire wall. This was one of the few places I could find for late night dining, but I think next time I'll remember to eat early.

Vinny's East Coast Grille
Route 1
Ogunquit, Maine 03907

Perkins Cove

One of the most popular attractions in Ogunquit is Perkins Cove, located at the end of Shore Road. The boat dock and fishing shacks are connected to the town by a foot bridge that you have probably seen featured in numerous travel brochures for Ogunquit and the state of Maine. Over fifty shops and restaurants are craftily housed in these weathered shacks, including some of the town's most popular eateries: Barnacle Billy's and Hurricane. Boat trips are available from the docks, though there wasn't much activity during the cold October weekend that I was visiting. I didn't visit the Ogunquit Museum of American Art, but a few people said that it was genuinely worth checking out. Cros...Read More

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on December 5, 2000

Perkins Cove
Shore Road

Ogunquit Beach

Though the water is freezing year round, the beach is quite beautiful and perfect for strolling along and getting lost in thought. Maybe other folks would get bored, but I can spend hours listening to the roar of the waves and smelling the salty air.

The wave action up here is more impressive than many of the beaches in the New York area, and the beach in general reminded me of the seashore I visited as a child growing up in Washington and Oregon. Because of the time of year, the beach was pretty much deserted, so I could traipse up and down along the surf, dancing about without worrying too much if there was some cute guy nearby thinking I had gone mad.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on December 5, 2000

Ogunquit Beach
Beach Street

Kittery Outlet Stores

Attraction | "Outlet stores"

I don't particularly like to shop, but if I'm going to upgrade my wardrobe I at least want to save some money in the process and find some real bargains. I headed over to nearby Kittery to check out their outlet store mall, and found a number of popular retail shops offering sale and discontinued items.

I guess if you are into this sort of stuff, you'd be more enthusiastic about the task at hand. But Kittery seemed so dull compared to the larger and more stylish outlet mall in Freeport, which is about twenty minutes north of Ogunquit. I'd advise trekking a little further, and of course stopping by the Ambercrombie & Fitch outlet store, if only to peruse the sales staff.

Kittery Outlet Stores