Cozumel Journals

Taking it easy in Cozumel

A March 2004 trip to Cozumel by caromeow

Quote: A wonderful, relaxing seaside vacation. Hanging at the beach and exploring the island in a rented Jeep proved much more exciting than the downtown, filled with cruise-ship tourists.

Presidente InterContinental Cozumel Resort and Spa

Hotel | "Presidente Intercontinental Hotel"

Very lovely lodgings. We actually stayed here because my mother was attending a medical convention thing. The rooms, beach, pool, and bars were great. The restaurant was also very nice, and the personnel were friendly and helpful.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on January 23, 2005

Presidente InterContinental Cozumel Resort and Spa
Carretera A Chankanaab Km 6.5
+52 (987) 872-9500

El Moro

The food here is delicious, and that's the main reason you come. It's also affordable, and there is no fancy setting. It almost reminded me of a university cafeteria with the way the tables and chairs were set up. There are plenty of tourists who come here but also plenty of locals. The waiter we had was very friendly, and we got a drink at the end of our meal. I can't remember the name of it right now, but we bought some later and it kind of tastes like licorice. We also had our first dish of bananas and rice here, which, while it sounds crazy, is very good.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on March 22, 2005

El Moro
Calle 75 Norte #124
+52 987 23 029

Chen Rio Restaurant

Restaurant | "Chen Rio"

Chen Rio is one of the beaches we went to in our handy-dandy rented Jeep. It's a great beach because you can walk a ways on it. But best of all, it has a fantastic restaurant open until sundown. The fish and seafood they serve is VERY fresh and caught that day, sometimes while you're waiting. The staff was very friendly, and we had lots of nice big margaritas. When you're not eating, you can swim in the cove or lie out on the chairs or hammocks provided. Definitely a great place to go!

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on March 22, 2005

Chen Rio Restaurant
Costera Este Highway Km 28
No phone available

La Veranda

If the weather is nice, you should definitely sit outside on the veranda - it's beautiful. There's a nice wine list and lots of lovely food, though unfortunately I was a bit hungover and couldn't enjoy it quite like I wanted to. The BEST part was my dessert coffee. They prepare flaming desserts and such by your table, and my coffee (a Mayan coffee?) involved flaming liqueur, which was SO beautiful and wonderful, I can't recommend it enough. I never knew flaming alcohol could be so... inspiring.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on March 22, 2005

La Veranda
Calle 4 Norte 140
+52 987 24 132

Palancar Reef

Attraction | "Snorkeling"

We were picked up at the dock of our hotel (Presidente) and taken to three different diving locations (Colombia Shallows, Palancar Reef, Chankanaab Reef). Snorkel masks and flippers were provided. There were two guides and a group of about ten or less snorkelers. Absolutely BEAUTIFUL.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on January 23, 2005

Palancar Reef
Southwest Side of Island

Senor Frog's

Attraction | "Senor Frogs"

Okay, I have no idea why we came to this bar. It's terrible. Well, if you like the whole crazy, drunk spring breaker scene, then you will like this, but... I mean, it was interesting to just observe for a while the craziness of it all, but we stayed for three whole (cheap) beers and that was too much. The place is very loud and crazy things happen, like they use a hose to pour very watered down tequila in your mouth (and all over your shirt). Conga lines and other cheesy things also happen. It tends to be drunk spring breakers on the dance floor, and I spotted a few seemingly out-of-place 30-somethings hanging out in the periphery. I think this is a hot spot for cruise people, and it's promo...Read More

Member Rating 1 out of 5 on March 22, 2005