Lanai Journals

Honeymoon in Lanai, Hawaii

A September 2004 trip to Lanai by Ramsey

Quote: Imagine romantic torch-lit walks along the beach, poolside frozen drinks and ahi sushi, ocean views, and daytime adventures. Experience the getaway of a lifetime. Visit Lanai, Hawaii.

Lodge at Koele Clubhouse Bar & Grill

Restaurant | "Private Dining"

The hotel boasts four or five different restaurants, but why leave your room at all when you can sit on your porch and take in the best ocean view of the property while dining from any menu? Eating on our porch was by far my favorite. The breakfasts we had were unbelievable, and dinner was always great, be it a grilled cheese sandwich off the kid's menu or ahi tuna from one of the top-notch restaurants. Food was served promptly and was always fresh and made to order.

My only complaint is that everything you purchase there comes at a premium price. You cannot have even breakfast without spending around $50 or $60.

One Keomoku Road
Lana'i, Hawaii 96763

Lanai Dining

Restaurant | "Any in the city"

We were told not to go into town because it's not worth it, but we made the trip anyway and found that the advice given should have been followed!

We ate in town twice, at two different little places, and the menus were pretty much the same--fried stuff and more fried stuff. Everything was slathered in warm mayo or cheese, and for those who try to eat healthy, there is NO chance of that in the city. Your best bet is to stay at the lodge or at Manele.

Member Rating 1 out of 5 on January 11, 2005

Lanai Dining
City of Lanai

Lodge at Koele Clubhouse Bar & Grill

Restaurant | "The Lodge at Koele"

Oh. My. Goodness. Heaven. The restaurant is beautiful, with a fireplace and surrounding windows, looking out onto the golf course and gardens. It's extremely romantic. The bread is warm and crispy on the outside, the mushroom appetizer simply melts in your mouth, and the filet is mouthwatering just thinking about it!

If you get the "Adventure Pack," a formal dinner is included. Do not miss out on this one. It was one of the highlights of our week.

Spend time after dinner hanging out at the Lodge in the game room, on the wrap-around porch, or walking the gardens. Beautiful.

One Keomoku Road
Lana'i, Hawaii 96763

Snorkeling

The cliffs are just stunning, and the sailing was great. There were about 20 dolphins that were racing our boat, including two babies. I have been on the water my whole life and have never seen anything like it. It was really magnificent.

I was, however, disappointed with the snorkeling. There were not a lot of fish, which I had not expected. I didn't see anything of any interest--no sharks, no turtles, no eels, nothing.

We did this as a part of our 4x4 Adventure Package. Get the package. It's worth the money.

Snorkeling
Book in lobby of Manele Bay or Lodge

Rent a jeep for hiking, sightseeing

Attraction | "Rent a jeep for the day, hiking, sightseeing"

Go to the Garden of the Gods to see ancient rock formations.

Drive down to the beach and take a short hike to see this amazing WW2 ship that was beached. It's stuck out in the water and looks like you can just reach out and touch it. When you drive down, be sure to go all the way, as far as you can. We stopped early and wound up walking for quite a long time.

Get a map from the Jeep dealer and go to find the petroglyphs. They are so unreal. You'll have to climb a bit, and you'll feel like you're in the middle of nowhere. Wear sneakers and sunblock for sure.

Rent a jeep for hiking, sightseeing
Throughout Lanai

Horseback Riding

Great for riders of any level. The guides are well-informed and friendly, keeping the ride interesting and fun. The red clay and ocean views featuring Molokai and Maui are stunning. You can take either a half-day or full-day trip. A bagged lunch is included (also part of the 4X4 package).

Horseback Riding
Lodge at Koele Stables

Henry Clay's Rotisserie

Attraction | "Clay Shooting"

Neither of us had ever shot a gun, but my husband wanted to give it a shot (pardon the pun). Our guide gave us the low-down on safety and the basics, and on my first try, I shot the target! It's much easier than you think, and although I had a great time but do not want to go again, my husband is now addicted! He went a second time during our trip (while I laid by the pool). The course is beautiful, no matter what your interest in clay shooting. The pro shop is small but well-equipped. This too is part of the 4X4 package.

Henry Clay's Rotisserie
828 Lanai Ave
Lanai City, Hawaii 96763
+1 808 565 7211

Cavendish Golf Course

Attraction | "Golf"

This course was ranked the top resort course last year, so you can trust that it will challenge you, no matter what level of golfer you are. The course is stunning. I have been to MANY private clubs, and this course is just beautiful. There is a lot of water, but it doesn't really come into play on many holes. Bring some extra cash--they have a cool logo, and you will want to buy at least a shirt or hat!

Cavendish Golf Course
Keomoku Road near Lodge at Koele
Lanai City, Hawaii 96763
No phone available

I go to the spa for massages and manicures/pedicures often at home. I was so disappointed in the spa at Manele Bay. While waiting for my massage, I had to hang out in the little reception area where they sell products. Once I made it into the massage room, there was no music and no candles. It was a bit chilly and was not very relaxing. I also had a facial there that was good, but again, not relaxing.

My husband had a massage and said that it was okay, but he didn't have any music either; he said that his masseuse said that their sound system had broken. Hmmm. Plug-in CD player maybe?? Something?! This too is part of the 4x4 package.