St. Augustine Journals

Tired of History and the Beach

A travel journal to St. Augustine by willow

Quote: I love history and the beach, but sometimes hunger for a change of pace. St. Augustine still offers many activities to keep me busy.

Tired of History and the Beach

When I tire of history and have had my fill of the beach, there's plenty of activities to keep me happy. For instance playing mini golf, visiting fun museums, shopping, etc.

Rain showers develop quickly in Florida, but are usually of short duration.

For optimal enjoyment, you will want a car.

Grande Villas At World Golf Village

Hotel | "Vistana Resort"

This new resort was definitely built with the avid golfer in mind. Even the furnishings and decor depict the game and its history. The golf course is beautiful! Our one bedroom unit overlooked the greens and we had some fun just watching. Again we made vows to take lessons... The resort is built adjacent to the very new World Golf Village (which I will cover in a separate entry). Our unit sported two queen sized beds in the bedroom and an amazingly comfortable sleeper sofa. We had room for the four of us and an infant with some compromise for privacy. The pool has a waterfall and is designed for wading more than swimming. The landscaping is meticulous. The game and fitness room...Read More

Grande Villas At World Golf Village
100 Front Nine Drive
St Augustine, FL 32092
(904) 940-2000

The Conch House

Restaurant | "Conch House"

The restaurant joins the marina on the inland waterway. You can choose to dine inside or outside. There are several palmetto thatched tiki huts located over the water, good for romance and private conversation. In addition to Caribbean fare, the restaurant serves certified Angus Steaks. We love the spicy Minorcan conch chowder. The food is always very good. Sometimes service is a little slow, but the atmosphere and surroundings are pleasant.

The Conch House
57 Comares Avenue
St. Augustine, Florida 32080

Marty's &￿

Restaurant | "Marty''s Seafood Steakhouse"

After a busy morning Christmas shopping at the outlet mall, we decided to stop at Marty's for a late lunch. Though we have visited St. Augustine many times this was our first visit to Marty's. We ordered from the luncheon menu: butterfly fried shrimp for me, clam strips for my spouse. We were very pleased with the quality of food and friendly service. My jumbo shrimp were huge, ten of them, served with potato and a salad. His clam strips were piled high. They served a basket of egg bread with the salads, too different for me but he loved it. Total cost for lunch $20 and that included the tip.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on November 28, 2000

Marty's &￿
2703 N Ponce De Leon Blvd

Marineland

Built right on the beach just south of Crescent Beach this marine amusement park is where it all began. Marineland is created with being the world's first oceanarium. Though smaller than Sea World and others, Marineland is still considered to be an authority in conservation and marine health and in dolphin/sea lion training. Marine Land is open Wednesday through Sunday 9:30-4:30.

Marineland
9600 Oceanshore Blvd.
St. Augustine, Florida 32080

Potter's Wax Museum

This wax museum features more than 170 lifelike figures which depict famous people both past and present. Potter's has received world wide recognition for authenticity of costumning as well as likeness of facial features. My favorite figures are Henry VIII and his wives. The museum keeps up to date with who's in the news in entertainment and politics. I am sure that to be cast in wax by Potter's is an honor to them.

Potter's Wax Museum
17 King Street

Ripley's Believe it or Not Museum

Attraction | "Ripley's Believe it or Not"

Three floors of Ripley's collection of unusual, unorthodox and sometimes, I think untrue artifacts and phenomenon. Distasteful oddities such as human anomalies and a shrunken head are displayed with circus like gusto. The children accept the exhibits in the manner given. I too had my share of laughter.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on November 27, 2000

Ripley's Believe it or Not Museum
19 San Marco Avenue
St. Augustine, Florida 32084

These two outlet shopping malls, which are not affiliated, are conveniently located across from one another. Belz is the newer of the two and features Liz Claiborn, Ralph Lauren, Coleman's, Disney and of course many others. Belz is enclosed in a climate controlled complex just like a traditional mall. St. Augustine Outlet Center is basically a long strip of connected outlets, 95 in number, which fortunately provides a trolley service. They feature WestPoint Stevens, Carter's, Gap, Levi's, Aigner and many-many more. We shopped both malls the weekend after Thanksgiving and found very good buys. Of course as with any outlet mall some prices are as high or higher than regular retailers.

St. Augustine Outlet Center and Belz
I-95 and SR 16
St. Augustine, Florida

World Golf Village

Story/Tip

The village includes The World Golf Hall of Fame (everything anyone ever wanted to know about golf), an IMAX theatre, speciality shops and restaurants. The village often hosts festivals, shows and live entertainment, two of our favorites have been the Corvette Show and the July 4th fireworks display. The tower offers splendid views of the village and adjacent areas.

The village is very well planned in that the walkway and facilities surround a small lake. The lake and the fountains help cool the area as well as help disperse the visitors and prevent crowding.