Hallstatt Journals

Austria: Hallstatt

An October 1993 trip to Hallstatt by kylebarber

Seehotel Gruner Baum Photo, Hallstatt, Austria More Photos
Quote: Following a recommendation in a guide book, I ventured to this small village by an enormous lake and intstantly fell in love.

Austria: Hallstatt

Hallstatt Photo, Hallstatt, Austria
The true highlight of Hallstatt is the town itself. It's so small, quiet and remote, it seems as if you have stumbled into the land that time forgot. Everything is so calm and peaceful in Hallstatt that you'll hate to leave it when your stay is over.Quick Tips: I wish I had planned to spend more time in Hallstatt, but I was afraid that I would grow bored. While there isn't too much to do, if you love the outdoors and the slow-paced life, I'm sure you'll be perfectly content with the lack of major attractions.Best Way To Get Around: Once you get to Hallstatt, everything can easily be reached by foot. It's the getting there that provides a challenge. I took a train from Salzburg, ...Read More

Seehotel Gruner Baum

Hotel

Seehotel Gruner Baum Photo, Hallstatt, Austria
This cozy bed and breakfast is nestled along the lake's edge, affording beautiful views of the Hallstatter See and surrounding mountains. The proprietor was a friendly older woman who, though unable to speak any English, went out of her way to make sure I was enjoying myself. In the morning I was her only guest at breakfast and she kept bringing out different food items for me, I think to make sure that I was satisfied with my stay. I would highly recommend this accomodating and centrally located bed and breakfast.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on November 27, 2000

Seehotel Gruner Baum
Marktplatz 104

Gasthof Hallberg

This unassuming pizza joint may not have much to offer as far as authentic Austrian cuisine, but it was a relaxing and warm restuarant that served very good pizza pies. The wide variety of toppings offered was a nice chnage from the limired selection many European restaurants serve. Situated high up on the hillside, I had to do some climbing to find the place. Unfortunately, by early evening it was pitch black outside (Hallstatt is a remote mountain village) and I can't really say if the restaurant offered much of a view from its hillside perch.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on November 27, 2000

Gasthof Hallberg
Seestrabe 113

Hallstatt/Hallstätter See

Attraction | "Rowing on the Hallstatter See"

The crystal clear and quite still Hallstatter Sea is an amazingly large body of water, dwarfing my little rental rowboat. Apparently the water is as deep as the mountains on the lake's edge are tall. I got so caught up in the natural splendor that surrounded me that I didn't realize I had been navigating the magical lake for over three hours. The blisters that appeared the next day were an unfortunate souvenir of this otherwise wonderful way to spend an afternoon in the mountains.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on November 27, 2000

Hallstatt/Hallstätter See

Salzkammergut, Austria

This small Catholic church was constructed, rebuilt and altered frequently over a wide expanse of time. The first altar was completed around the year 1450, whereas the newest altar was constructed nearly five centuries later. The parish church's Romanesque tower stands out among the many smaller homes that dot the shoreline, but the interior of the building is considerably more humble. Though worth poking your head into for a few minutes, you'll get more of a sense of Hallstatt's history by visiting the local museum.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on November 28, 2000

Catholic Parish Church
Off the town's main square

Bad Ischl

Bad Ischl is a cute medium-sized village that is fairly close to Hallstatt. If you are taking the train and ferry route to get to Hallstatt you'll pass Bad Ischl along the way. Many people find this Austrian village in the mountains quite charming and special. But because it is not lakebound and surrounded by mountains, it isn't remote and isolated like the more magical village of Hallstatt. It is also noticeably larger in size, robbing it of the same charm as a land that time forgot.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on November 28, 2000