Vienna Journals

Austria: Vienna

A November 1993 trip to Vienna by kylebarber

Stephansdom Photo, Vienna, Austria More Photos
Quote: Highlights from my very brief but memorable trip to Vienna, Austria.

Austria: Vienna

Attending an opera production in Wien's beautiful old Staatsoper building. While I was standing pretty close to the top, and wasn't completely carried away by the music or production, I was entranced by the beauty and majesty of the opera house itself.Quick Tips: I think I would have gotten much more out of Vienna if I had planned ahead properly, identifying what I wanted to see and which musical and theatrical productions were being performed while I was in town. I probably would also return during a warmer time of the year.Best Way To Get Around: While Vienna was a great city for walking around and people watching, navigating the u-bahn and strabenbahn trains were both easy and f...Read More

Staatsoper

Constructed in the 19th century, the amazing Staatsoper building presents the major opera productions in Vienna. Even if you don't like opera, you'll probably be thoroughly impressed with the ornate and romantic opera house. I felt so out of my league in jeans and a sweater during the intermission, but up in standing room were quite a few haggard looking students who also wanted to be part of this amazing scene. The next time I'm in town I'll splurge a little and pay to sit down. But for the privilege of seeing an unobstructed performance on my two feet, I paid a mere $1.80.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on November 26, 2000

Staatsoper
Opernring 2
+43 1 514 44 2969

Stephansdom

Stephansdom Photo, Vienna, Austria
This huge church is pretty impressive to visit, and quite different in style to what I was used to seeing throughout Italy. Dating from around the 13th century, this majestic cathedral seems to be in pretty good shape after so many years. When your interest in Stephansdom's art and architecture start to wane, there are the somewhat morbid catacombs located beneath the church to visit, featuring the remains of many local notables. You can also take an elevator to the top of the cathedral's 450 foot tower for excellent views of the city.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on November 26, 2000

Stephansdom
Stephansplatz
No phone available

Christkindlmarkt

Christkindlmarkt Photo, Vienna, Austria
I always dreaded going in to those Christmas shops with my mother when I was young, as she and other easily impressed women oohed and ahhed over decorations and ornaments. But the three Christmas markets I stumbled across in my short stay in Vienna were actually fun to walk through, as so many people of different ages were all getting caught up in the spirit of Christmas. Between tables of nutcrackers and evil looking elfs, there were some cute trinkets that I thought would make nice souvenirs. More importantly, there were festive Christmas food booths, churning out holiday-themed desserts for gluttons like myself...

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on November 26, 2000

Christkindlmarkt
Kohlmarkt
Vienna, Austria

Ferris Wheel

Attraction | "Giant Ferris Wheel"

The giant ferris wheel residing in the second district of town looms high above the surrounding buildings. An institution since 1897, the ferris wheel is one of the few sights worth checking out in the Prater amusement park. It seemed kind of silly to ride the ferris wheel by myself on a cold winter morning, but the views of the city below were fine and it seemed romantic in a sad, muted European sort of way. Plus it allowed me the opportunity to indulge the fantasy that I was part of the film The Third Man.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on November 29, 2000

Ferris Wheel
Prater
Vienna, Austria

Vienna Hofburg (Palace, Apartments, Sisi Museum, Silver Collection) Photo, Vienna, Austria
Hofburg, or the Imperial Palace, is the imposing white building with the greenish domes. It housed all of Austria's emperors until this past century, and now serves as the office for the Austrian president. It is more popular today, however, for hosting the Spanish Riding school and Vienna Boys' Choir performances. You have to plan ahead to catch the boys or the horses do their thing, but there are numerous museums within the palace complex to entertain those who come across the Hofburg by happenstance.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on November 29, 2000

Vienna Hofburg (Palace, Apartments, Sisi Museum, Silver Collection)
Centre Of The Old Town