Santa Fe Journals

Sante Fe: Winter Millenium Vacation

A December 1999 trip to Santa Fe by tcguide

Fishing Photo, Santa Fe, New Mexico More Photos
Quote: I live in New York, and I wanted to get away from the Y2000 madness that would occur on New Year's Eve, so I went to Santa Fe. A place I visit in the summer for fishing and biking, but never in the winter.

Sante Fe: Winter Millenium Vacation

seeing the new millenium come around with no fireworks or fanfare, just a quiet, cold, dark night at the Bishop's Lodge by an outdoor fireplace.

Sante Fe is pretty cold in the winter, but it's nice because there are not as many tourists as during the summer. Hotel rates are also a bit lower. The air is incredibly 'fresh' out there. It's also a good idea to stop by Taos, which is an hour drive to the north.

rent a car. Fly in to Albequerque airport and drive about 2 hours north to Sante Fe.

Hotel St Francis

Hotel | "Hotel St. Francis"

Hotel St Francis Photo, Santa Fe, New Mexico
After staying on the outskirts of Santa Fe for a few nights, we decided to move into the city and closer to the center of town. We checked out just about every place nearby and felt this one was the best in terms of historical charm, comfort, and price. It wasn't so crowded because it was the middle of winter, and parking was plentiful. It's an old hotel, with a traditional, New Mexican feel: large fireplace in the lobby, friendly and small bar, broad staircase leading to the rooms, and rooms decorated with antique furniture. Like most hotels in that part of town, it's within walking distance to just about everything you'd want to see. I remember the white-ribboned Christmas tree in the lobby, and th...Read More

Hotel St Francis
210 DON GASPAR AVE
505-983-5700

Geronimo

This was the most memorable meal we had in Santa Fe. The setting can be described as: 'Santa Fe meets Soho.' Lots of simple grey and white color tones matched with antlers and hardwood settings. Comfortable small pillows served as cushions on the bench on my side of the table. The food was a real treat, and a nice combination of fusion dishes like seared rare tuna, lamb chops, and even elk for the big eaters! On a cold winter's night- a real escape from typical New Mexican cuisine.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on July 24, 2000

Geronimo
724 Canyon Road
+1 505 982 1500

Cafe Pasqual's

Restaurant | "Pasqual's"

This place is incredibly popular in Santa Fe and annoyingly so!! We were staying across the street at the Hotel St. Francis. and I couldn't believe that the wait for a table for brunch was about two hours!! Can you believe that? And the service, like all VERY popular places, was hectic and a bit testy. So we ordered take out. I had the Huevos Rancheros and Ally had the Broiled Trout for breakfast, which we ate in the Hotel Lounge. It was good, but not worth a TWO HOUR wait. And this was in winter!

Cafe Pasqual's
121 Don Gaspar Avenue

Coyote Cafe

On a cold late December night, Ally and I got into Santa Fe around 8:00 PM, and we wanted to try the famous place called Coyote Cafe, a New Mexican food landmark located right in the middle of town. They were, of course, booked up, but luckily we were able to enjoy a wonderful meal at the bar. Eating at the bar is fun because the food comes faster and it's easier to share food and share intimate conversation.
We sat next to a funny young guy (snowboarder-type guy) who works at the place, and he made some 'AWESOME' recommendations. They have a broiled quail for an appetizer that was delicious. That's the dish I remember the most. The Desert was also nice- an apple-banana tart.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on July 17, 2000

Coyote Cafe
132 W Water St.

The Shed

Restaurant | "Shed"

There are some pretty fancy resturaunts in Santa Fe: this is not one of them. But it is a GREAT place for some basic, and delcious New Mexican cuisine. This place is very famous, and hard to find since it's tucked away in the corner of an atrium at Palace Ave. It should be famous for its food. A friendly, quirky place with interesting murals painted on the walls. I remember several families there enjoying the New Mexican dishes like: Tacos, Burritos, and Enchiladas. (Sounds Mexican- but tastes NEW Mexican) Tasted very fresh and didn't make me feel like I was spending a lot of money. A must for Santa Fe.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on July 17, 2000

The Shed
113 East Palace Ave
+1 505 982 9030

Fishing

Attraction | "Small Stream near Lake Abiquiu"

Fishing Photo, Santa Fe, New Mexico
This was the craziest fly fishing trip I ever took. The second day of Year 2000, we drove about 2 hours northeast of Santa Fe to find a trout fishing stream near Lake Abiquiu. The scenery was magnificent, and the stream flowed through a quiet and remote canyon. The temperature was 28 degrees. My feet felt frozen underneath my waders, and the brief intervals of snowfall made for an almost solemn winter fishing experience. I caught only one small seven inch Rainbow trout after 4 hours of casting various nymphs. It was tough fishing, but I'll remember the freezing lines when I go back to New Mexico in the summer.

Fishing