Jeddah Journals

Jeddah to Dublin to Dundalk in a hurry

A May 2002 trip to Jeddah by irac

Quote: I travelled from Jeddah to Istanbul by myself before picking up my dad, who was waiting in Istanbul. We raced against time for me to make a game in Dundalk on June 4th.

Roadhouse

Restaurant | "Unknown, unfortunately"

This roadhouse, built like a massive chalet from the Swiss Alps, sits proudly and brightly on the right hand side of the road on the way north from Damascus. Two years in a row, I stopped and slept outside it (I don't know if they have rooms inside), and I have eaten in the place twice. Both times, I ordered and loved a local pizza, with ground beef and onion toppings. The coffee is almost as explosive as that picked up by Dad in Croatia, and there is also a little shop inside that sells counterfeit but good quality music tapes. Like everything in Syria, it is unique, delightful, and attractive. If you want a good meal on the road, just look for the brightly lit roadhouse (there a...Read More

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on October 25, 2004

Roadhouse
Highway 1

Ireland & Cameroon

Attraction | "Ireland versus Cameroon"

On the first Saturday of June 2002, I stopped to do four things: meet my Dad, clean myself up, eat, and watch Ireland stuff the recently crowned African champs.

Dad only arrived at half-time, as the result of the usual Turkish attempts to screw foreigners over. When he was there, I felt much better, and we sat down to enjoy hamburgers as Ireland faced a 1-0 deficit from the opening half.

By the end of the game, all in the roadstop were cheering the mighty boys in green as Mattie Holland drove a well-deserved equaliser home. We should have won, according to all present, but it was enough to spring Dad and I forward to our European return.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on October 19, 2004

Ireland & Cameroon
North of Istanbul

The Arabian Desert

At once magnificent, though never quite empty, the desert highway winds through hills and scenery that Jesus would have felt at home in, and probably did. In the land the prophet Mohammed called home, there is an overwhelming sense of filth: plastic bags, discarded tires, or pieces of the same. Each settlement is surrounded by the usual mess associated with humans - even the poor camels don't escape it, as I saw one with a plastic bag lodged to his foot. However, in Jordan, there was more of a respite. In the boiling desert sands, one can escape the mundane and receive internal messages clearer than at any other time. The first message I got in Jordan was to take a break, as my ca...Read More

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on October 19, 2004

The Arabian Desert
Saudi Arabia to Jordan

Damascus by night

Story/Tip

Three times I've been in Damascus and never once have I seen it in daylight. But that magical quality you hear about is even more pronounced when trying to navigate or explore the city in the dark. Scrubbing and washing the dirt and miles off you is best done in the hammamm next to the city's main mosque. It's a bit confusing to find at first, but when you realise it's right opposite the main door of the place of worship, you feel rather silly. For less than €10 you can have a steam, massage, and shower, which is the best way to start your next leg. There is a ladies area/time, which I heard is just as good. Damascus itself is a strange city, a real mix of ea...Read More

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on October 25, 2004

I was looking forward, the first time, to crossing the strait of water that separates Asia from Europe. That narrow strip coloured in blue on the map seemed filled with more than just mythical creatures or history. It was something that I had long dreamed of doing, since I was a kid really.

But on a rainy Saturday morning in June, I slipped through the grey dawn to deliver myself unto what was supposed to be Europe's doorstep.

A big let down!