Paleontologist Earl Douglass came to this area from Pittsburgh in 1908 looking for dinosaur bones. On August 19, 1909, he spotted 8 brontosaurus tail bones protruding from the top of a ledge. Douglass had found an ancient river bottom, buried for 150 million years. Soon, thousands of bones, including many complete skeletons, were excavated from this ridge. In 1915, the quarry was set aside as a National Monument.
Douglass had the foresight to leave a portion of the ridge in tact. As a result, visitors to the Quarry Visitor Center can now see more than 1500 bones still embedded in the rock face. This sloping wall forms the fourth wall of the Visitor Center itself.
At first, the ro...Read More