Myrtle Beach Journals

Hooterville by the Sea

A travel journal to Myrtle Beach by willow

Quote: The title is given with tongue in cheek. Myrtle Beach is home to world class theatres, restaurants and activities.

Hooterville by the Sea

Myrtle Beach reminds me of Orlando without the amusement parks. A few highlights from our most recent visit include Ripley's Aquarium, Planet Hollywood, Hard Rock Cafe and a host of Broadway Shows.

The beach is not the star attraction. We visit Myrtle Beach year round.

I prefer the convenience of a car.

Planet Hollywood

Planet Hollywood is always a good idea. We movie buffs just can't get enough of the memorablia and hype that goes with the silver screen. The menu and props change often enough to keep us interested. We love movie/music trivia and Planet Hollywood offers conversation topics along with good food.

Planet Hollywood
2915 Hollywood Drive
+1 843 448 7827

Hard Rock Cafe/Broadway at the Beach

Restaurant | "Hard Rock Cafe"

This Hard Rock is shaped like the Egyptian Pyramids, at night the lights play a kaleidoscope of colors on the restaurant. I could not wait to eat there. We arrived at 5:30 for early dinner, (we had not called for reservations because of the early hour). We were met at the door by a hostess who explained that the Hard Rock Cafe and Store were closed for a private party. When I expressed my dismay and explained how we are great fans of Hard Rock and this was our last evening in Myrtle Beach, the manager was called and we were given a voucher good at any Hard Rock property, for 2 appetizers, 2 drinks, 2 entrees and 2 desserts! Now I'm not only looking forward to going back, I'm telling everyone to e...Read More

Hard Rock Cafe/Broadway at the Beach
1322 Celebrity Circle

Ripley's Aquarium

This aquarium is one of the best I have seen. A slow moving sidewalk carries you past the tanks. Of course you can step off at any time for a closer view of the exhibits. My favorites were the coral reef (an entire room devoted to the reef and colorful fishes, illuminated with special lighting) and the shark tanks. The overhead views of the sharks and the moving side walk create the illusion of being under water. There are also touch pools. Time to tour about 2 hours. Cost $15.

Ripley's Aquarium
1110 Celebrity Circle

Barefoot Landing

Barefoot Landing is diverse enough to be listed under any activities heading. Let's see a 27 acre lake, bordered with 100 specialty shops, 13 factory direct stores, an eclectic choice of restaurants, Carousel rides, House of Blues, Alabama Theatre. Kept us busy for a weekend. The walkway across the lake is especially pretty at night. An outdoor concert set the mood for relaxation after a day of shopping and a fun dinner at a motorcycle themed restaurant called Harley's.

Barefoot Landing