Any exploration of Islamic Cairo begins at the medieval bazaar of Khan al-Khalili, the commercial heart of the quarter. The original Khan was laid between Al-Muizz li-Din Allah and Midan Hussein, but today it encompasses a wider area made up of several markets, selling everything from water pipes and handicrafts to silks and spices. Traders line the streets all the way to the old city gates, a mile to the north and south, but the bazaar's narrow alleyways are at their densest in the original Khan area. The quarter's many old mosques, houses, and palaces offer an escape from the incessant sales pitches.
Built in 1382 by Garkas al-Khalili, Master of Horses, to Sultan Barquq, Khan al-Khalili is one...Read More