Niagara Falls Journals

Spectacular Niagara Falls

A September 2005 trip to Niagara Falls by tech-writer

Horse Shoe Photo, Niagara Falls, New York More Photos
Quote: I don't know how to express my first reaction to seeing the falls. It is just wonderful, spectacular, awesome, gigantic, and gorgeous. I tried to capture it in the lens, but the experience is just great! We saw the falls from the U.S. side.

Spectacular Niagara Falls

Horse Shoe Photo, Niagara Falls, New York
While in the US, I was staying in Lebanon, New Hampshire. We were a group of 5 and were deciding what to over the weekend and then pop came the idea Niagara Falls! The Niagara is 450 miles from Lebanon, NH. So we traveled 900 miles, a total of 18 hours drive to and fro. We left for Niagara in morning at 5:30am. Took a couple of stops in between and reached there at 2:30pm in the afternoon. We had booked rooms at a bed-and-breakfast close to the falls! I don’t know how to express my first reaction on seeing the Falls. It is just wonderful, spectacular, awesome, gigantic, and gorgeous. I tried to capture it in the lens, but the experience is just great! We saw the falls from the U.S. sid...Read More

Maid of the Mist

Attraction | "The Maid of the Mist"

The Maid of the Mist goes in the Canadian part of the Falls. We took a ferry that takes people near it, almost to the foot of it. That part is in the shape of a horseshoe and constitutes about 80% of the waterfall. I just stood in the ferry and looked around at the three parts that make Niagara Falls.

It is a wonderful experience. The ferry ride costs $10, but it is worth the cost! Everybody is given a blue plastic raincoat, too. I have kept mine as a souvenir.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on June 29, 2005

Maid of the Mist
Niagara Reservation State Park at Prospect Point
Niagara Falls, New York 14303

Cave of the Winds Tour

Attraction | "Caves of the Wind"

After the ferry ride, we went walking to see the Falls from all possible angles and decided to check out Caves of the Wind, an elevator that takes people to the foot of the Falls from inside the hill/cliff 60 feet down. You have to wear a proper raincoat and special shoes they provide. They have made some wooden steps.

The guide takes you to the foot of the waterfalls. There is a platform called the Hurricane Bridge. If you stand there, you can feel the strong sprays of the water. It is not exactly under the waterfall.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on June 29, 2005