Park City Journals

The resort town of Park City

An August 2000 trip to Park City by AnaMH

Park City Photo, Park City, Utah More Photos
Quote: I have been twice to Park City under very different weather. I spent a week there with my nephews for a Christmas ski trip. Just this past year, my husband and I spent two days here in Mid-August. The city is greatly improving their non-winter attractions.

The resort town of Park City

Park City Photo, Park City, Utah
Park City is a resort town with excellent facilities, hotels and restaurants. The town was a mining town and today is a picturesque small town. The first ski resort built was in 1963 and is now called Park City Mountain Resort. During the winter months, Park City is home to fine skiing, snowmobiling, cross-country skiing and even helicopter skiing. It is a gateway to several other area ski towns including Sundance, Alta and Snowbird. The Deer Valley resort is less than 5 miles away.

You'll need a car.
We stayed here this August and we enjoyed our stay. It is a bit farther than where I have stayed before. We got a very good deal on our stay, so we opted to stay here. We had a room with a king size bed and very nice bathroom. They had an indoor pool and a fitness center.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on November 19, 2000

Marriott Park City
1895 SIDEWINDER DRIVE
435 649 2900

Marriott Mountainside

Hotel | "Marriott Mountainside (Summit Watch)"

This is a great place for familes or couples travelling together to stay. There are two bedrooms--one master and one guest. We stayed in the master bedroom, and it was terrific. The two TV''s in the suite allowed my two nephews to take charge of their own remote control. There was a king size bed in the master bedroom and a queen pullout couch in the living room. There was also a fireplace, kitchen and balcony. Well worth the money.

Marriott Mountainside
1305 Lowell Avenue
(435) 940-2000

Blind Dog Grill

This is a great place to have a meal with children. It is family friendly. The menu has a wide selection for all ages. You can even get an outside table. I had a cup of hot chocolate here that was heavenly. The steaks were delicious as were the appetizers we ordered. Loved it!

Blind Dog Grill
1781 Sidewinder Drive

350 Main

The salads here are terrific. The bread was excellent. I had a turkey sandwich, but it was spiced up and funky. The menu has a few nouveau items that are funky and worth a try for someone looking for something a little different. Seafood and steaks are also available.

350 Main
350 Main Street

Snowbird Ski and Summer Resort

Attraction | "Snowbird"

This town has the designation of being the world’s most accessible ski resort since it is about 30 miles from SLC Internatuinal airport. It is located in the Little Cottonwood Canyon. We were not going to go to Snowbird, but the ski instructor at Sundance talked us into trying it out. I’m glad he did. Snowbird is known as one of the top snowboarding mountains in the US. The resort is at 8,100 feet and Hidden Peak is at 11,000 feet. This makes for excellent skiing. Snowbird is known for its steep slopes and soft powder skiing. Little Cottonwood Canyon is known for its light, fine powder. I was under the impression that this was a hard mountain but found it to be otherwise. There are plenty of differe...Read More

Snowbird Ski and Summer Resort
Highway 210, Little Cottonwood Canyon
Snowbird, Utah 84092

Sundance Resort

Story/Tip

Sundance is located in Provo Canyon and offers great skiing and snowboarding. It is about 45 miles from Park City. The town has been voted one of the top 25 resorts in North America. We spent a day here enjoying the mountains and restaurants. My older nephew had just learned to snowboard and the Sundance Ski school (801) 223-4140 took him to a higher level in just two hours. He then asked if he could sign up for an hour of ski lessons with the same instructor. He says this was the most fun he ever had on the mountains. I left my younger nephew in the half-day ski school program and went off to explore the town and Sundance Resort. I checked out the Owl Bar in the resort. The bar was once frequente...Read More
Park City is now home to year round activities. This August, we stayed here and did a few of them. We played a round of golf, hiked, did a bit of fly-fishing and enjoyed several good meals. Other activities available in the "off-season" include: horseback riding, mountain biking and hunting. There is white water-rafting less than 20 miles away from the city. I tried to get my husband to go ballooning but he was having none of that. Maybe next time. Another place to spend some time is the Outlet Mall. We walked around and did find some bargains. Main Street is the soul of Park City. Sure you come for the activities but Main Street has a charm all of its own. The street is lined with restored bu...Read More