Bandar Seri Begawan Journals

Quiet, yet busy, Brunei

A November 2003 trip to Bandar Seri Begawan by S.L.Hii

Quote: It is a county that is hardly touched with development, but it is also not an isolated country.

Quiet, yet busy, Brunei

I was awestruck with the many food outlets and cafes. The wide selection of food really made me gain at least 4kg in a three-day visit. There was Dim Sum, Taiwanese Noodles, Clam Laksa, and more.

Car rental. It's very hard to find a taxi since the cars in Brunei are tax free and practically every family owns at least two.
The hotel was not too impressive but at a rate of US$15, this hotel was very comfortable and cheap. When I entered my room, there were the standard facilities like a coffee/tea-making facility and a TV. The room very small but cozy, and the location was just great due to its convenient access to supermarkets, shop houses selling a variety of goods, and easy access to the highway and the city centre. In terms of the location, price, and comfort of the room, this is the best hotel.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on September 10, 2004

Grand City Hotel
Gadong

Taurean Cafe

Taurean cafe is not very spacious as it has limited seating (I think less than 40 people) but the turnover is high. Even though it is small, it is tastefully decorated with pictures of horoscopes and other small ornaments.

I think they specialize in drinks, as I could see cocktails named after the zodiac signs and other drinks that I have not come across before. I ordered the Leo which tasted a bit sour but was refreshingly priced at around US$1.50. There are also tea drinks like Jasmine Green Tea and Red Bubble Tea. It is definitely a good place for gathering with friends.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on September 10, 2004

Taurean Cafe
Qlap
Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei

There are a few Taiwanese restaurants that I cannot remember the name of (I think one of them is Dafu) that serve set dishes at around US$3 per plate. They offer meals like Butter Chicken/Prawn with rice (my favorite is with the rice lightly fried), Beef Noodles, and Black Pepper Beef with rice.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on September 10, 2004

Hua Hua Restaurant

As I entered, I could see a Dim Sum trolley and colourful menus pasted on the wall. All types of dim sum are served there - steamed, deep fried, baked, and stir fried. My favorites are Che Cheong Fun Char Siew and Lo Ma Kai. The freshness of the ingredients and the level of saltiness were just right. The food is a cute size and so easy to bite. The fried and steamed items are just fabulous.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on September 10, 2004