Hat Yai Journals

Simple Hatyai

A July 2003 trip to Hat Yai by S.L.Hii

Quote: Hatyai is a simple place. Not much shopping, more dining and massage.

Simple Hatyai

My love for Fried Noodle (Flat Rice Noodle) with pork started from my first visit to Hatyai. It was love at first taste at the coffeehouse of Kosit Hotel. Suckling Pig is a funny experience for me. I cannot help but giggle over the women escorts there when they see me eat like a pig.

For the best trip, make it a three-day, two-night. Any longer and it will be very boring.

Walk

Kosit Hotel Hatyai

Hotel | "Kosit Hotel"

The hotel is within walking distance to the market, which is located in the "city" of Hatyai. The price is around 650Bht with a set breakfast. The room is clean. The price of the food is reasonable and tastes nice.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on September 10, 2004

Kosit Hotel Hatyai
199 Niphat Utit 2 Road
Hatyai, Songkhla, Thailand

Kosit

There is a Chinese nightclub restaurant next to Kosit Hotel. One can eat and be entertained by their live singers. I love the suckling pig price, I think it is 650 baht for half. First they stir-fried the pig so one eat only the skin, after that they finish, then deep-fry the pig, or you can request them to do it immediately. At first I did not know that the pig need to be deep-fried but I always wonder how it feels like to eat like a barbarian so I tried it. The meat is very hard to bite, but it tastes very good, so in the end most of the flesh is wasted. Only then was I told that the pig needs to be deep-fried afterwards to make the skin crispy. But I like this place as the women escorts sit wi...Read More

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on September 10, 2004

Kosit
Kosit Hotel
Hat Yai, Thailand

Shopping

Hatyai is not much a heaven for shopping, as the variety is limited and quite outdated, but the shoes sure have variety and are very trendy. Normally for a shirt, I expect to get less than 200 baht (the highest price I am willing to pay) and shoes less than 300 baht. Normally, I expect to pay 200 baht for a pair of high-heeled shoes. The market is called Pasar.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on September 10, 2004