Salt Lake City Journals

Salt Lake City Sights

A travel journal to Salt Lake City by AnaMH

Temple Square Photo, Salt Lake City, Utah More Photos
Quote: I have used Salt Lake City as a starting point for many western trips, so I’ve spent many days here, just not many consecutively. I try to do something new and eat at a new restaurant. I’ve tried to include my favorite things in this journal.

Salt Lake City Sights

Salt Lake City was settled by Mormon pioneers on July 24, 1847, when Brigham Young declared it 'the right place.' Every visitor must visit Temple Square and all the historic Mormon sights nearby. The Salt Lake Temple, the Mormon Tabernacle and the Assembly Hall are the main sights in Temple Square. The State Capitol is worth a visit as if the Great Salt Lake. The Hogle Zoo is great.Quick Tips: Landing or taking off from SLC International can make for a bumpy ride. The airport has the Wasatch Mountains to the east and the Oquirrh Mountains to the west and this creates drafts and air pockets. I had been warned, so I knew what to expect. The worst experience was just recently when we took off a ...Read More

Salt Lake Plaza Hotel at Temple Square

Hotel | "BW Plaza Salt Lake"

This is the closest hotel to Temple Square, basically across the street. The hotel has 13 floors and wonderful rooms. This is my favorite place to stay.

Salt Lake Plaza Hotel at Temple Square
122 W SOUTH TEMPLE
1-801-5210130

Located not too far from Temple Square. The rooms are fabulous, and the service is wonderful. We enjoyed a wonderful meal at the outdoor cafe. Room service was one of the best meals I''ve had.

Hilton Salt Lake City Center
255 S W TEMPLE
801 328-2000

Absolute!

Restaurant | "Absolut Restaurant"

This is a quiet, elegant and romantic restaurant. We had a wonderful meal and quite enjoyed the restaurant. I had the shrimp special of the day, which was similar to shrimp scampi but with vegetables. The restaurant serves seafood, pasta and steak.

Absolute!
52 West 200 South
+1 801 359 0899

Baci Club

We were recommended this restaurant by a friend, and they were right on the money. The restaurant has dimmed light which makes it romantic. It's formal but with a big splash of fun running through it. I enjoyed a seafood pasta for my main course and to die for chocolate cake for dessert. My husband had the pork chops.

Baci Club
134 W Piermont Ave
801-328-1333

Ginza

The restaurant serves Asian Japanese seafood and great salads. We split a grilled ginger tuna salad and two appetizers, chicken yukitori and shrimp spring rolls. Excellent service!

Ginza
209 West 200 South
+1 801 322 2224

Temple Square

Temple Square Photo, Salt Lake City, Utah
Back in the time that SLC was pioneered (7-24-1847), Temple Square was the center of the city. This is the reason all city addresses originate at the temple gates. The construction of the Mormon Temple was begun in 1853 and completed in 1892. The temple was built from granite stones from the Little Cottonwood Canyon. For many years, ox and wagon hauled the blocks to the temple site. The Square houses the Mormon Temple, The Mormon Tabernacle, home to the renowned Mormon Tabernacle choir and the huge organ, and Assembly Hall. If you are in town on a Thursday night, come and hear the choir practice. We thoroughly enjoyed it. The tour guide will demonstrate for you the acoustics of the Ta...Read More

Temple Square
50 West North Temple

This Is The Place State Park

Attraction | "Old Deseret Village"

Deseret Village is a living museum that relives the Old West in the 1850’s. There are several pioneer cabins that you can tour and listen to the period dressed guides fill you in on the information and history of the time. The restored building reflects the era from the pioneers to when the railroads arrived in SLC in 1869. There are covered wagon tours available. The ZCMI General stores are a great place to buy souvenirs or candy. The prices are reasonable. I enjoyed the tour, but sadly my two teenage nephews hated the whole thing. Deseret Village is only open May through December and for one week in December. Check the dates each year.

2601 Sunnyside Ave
Salt Lake City, Utah 84108
+1 801 582 1847

This Is The Place State Park

Attraction | "This is the Place Heritage Park"

This Is The Place State Park Photo, Salt Lake City, Utah
The visitor’s center is open year round and a great place to get historical information. Here you can learn about the pioneer Mormon’s journey from the Midwest to SLC. A monument was erected at the site where the first Mormon settlers entered the Great Salt Lake Valley. The monument is very interesting and informative especially about the 1,300-mile trail that the pioneers took. The monument was erected in 1947 to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the arrival of the pioneers. I underlined in red on the tablet, the section that reads where Brigham Young declared, “this is the place”. I used the winter shot, because I personally liked them better than some shots I have in fall when the surrounding g...Read More

2601 Sunnyside Ave
Salt Lake City, Utah 84108
+1 801 582 1847

One of my favorite places to visit in SLC is Trolley Square. This block of trolley barns has been converted into a shopping area with exclusive shops. I love to wander here and window shop. Another interesting shopping area is Gardner Historic Village. Here you will find shops in pioneer dated buildings. The most famous building is Archibalds’s Mill.

There are several malls downtown, which offer all the usual big mall stores. The malls are ZCMI Shopping Center and Crossroads Mall. These are the two largest malls in the city. One of my favorites is a sports store (name escapes me!), which has items from all of Utah’s sport teams. My favorite items are for the Utah Buzz!
This historic district is on the western side of Capitol Hill is also known as the Fruit Tree Streets. Our guide explained the name Marmalade Hill comes from the fruit-bearing plants and trees that were planted there by the pioneers and later residents. The district isn’t very big in size, but it is quite charming. As you drive the area, you will be delighted with the steep roads, landscaping and the many original pioneer-era homes. The many styles of architecture in the area were amazing to me. My favorite homes were the Thomas Quayle House and the Morrow-Taylor House both on Quince Street. Quince Street is the main street of the district.

Brigham Young House, Estate and Cemetery

Story/Tip

Gravesite of Brigham Young Photo, Salt Lake City, Utah
The homes of Mormon Church president Brigham Young are the Beehive House and the Lion House (67 E south Temple). The two houses are next door to each other and housed the very large Young family. There are tours available for both houses. It was a very pleasant tour. The Lion House offers lunch and dinner but I have made it for either.

Eagle Gate, once served to mark the entrance to Brigham Young’s estate, had to be relocated to make for better traffic roads and flow. The Brigham Young Monument is just east of Temple Square. This large statue was erected in 1897.
The Great Salt lake is 20 minutes west of SLC and a great place to visit. We got to see a sunset over the lake, and I must say it was gorgeous. The sky was lit with so many colors in so many shades. The lake is huge! It is 92 miles long and 48 miles wide. It is a bird watcher’s paradise since so many birds are found in the area. It is a stoping point for many species on their annual migratory routes between Canada and South America. They come to feed off the algae and microscopic brine shrimp, which are about the only things that can leave in the lake. We entered the area via Great Lakes State Park at the Saltair Beach area. We lounged, picnicked and watched the seagulls play until sunset. There is a ...Read More