Rome Journals

Three Coins in the Fountain

A July 1997 trip to Rome by kythe

Trevi Fountain Photo, Rome, Italy More Photos
Quote: In three days I managed to see everything in Rome!
Wherever you go in Italy, get gelato every day! It's Italian fresh ice cream and it is the best thing you'll ever taste! They also have nine million flavors in all the different towns. My favorite flavor was plum.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on August 20, 2004

McDonald's

McDonald's Photo, Rome, Italy
The only time I would ever recommend going to McDonald's in a foreign country--or getting a Coke for that matter--is if you're in the country for at least several weeks. After about three weeks I needed something familiar, although the texture of the hamburger did not feel the same. Also, I had to get a picture of the salad bar they had at this McDonald's.

Member Rating 1 out of 5 on August 21, 2004

McDonald's
Milan
Rome, Italy

Trevi Fountain

Trevi Fountain Photo, Rome, Italy
It's a fountain. With a lot of tourists around it. After going through all of Rome, I wish I had my coin back and that there were fountains in Florence and Venice. Once you've done Rome, you really don't have to do it again. But you have to go here just because. Just take stock of your group before you start throwing coins because if you don't look back you might lose them!

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on August 20, 2004

Trevi Fountain
Piazza di Trevi
Rome, Italy 00187

Piazza Navona

Piazza Navona Photo, Rome, Italy
Probably my favorite place in Rome. Filled with artists and activity and food, the Piazza Navona is a nice place to stroll in the evening. DO KEEP MOVING, THOUGH. The Piazza is filled with Gypsies just waiting for you to sit down or stand still so that they can pick your pocket or otherwise take advantage of you. A girl in my group sat down and this Gypsy started braiding her hair with thread, when she objected, the Gypsy took a pair of scissors and was going to cut that lock out. She luckily got away, but you've got to use common sense and be aware of your surroundings.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on August 21, 2004

Piazza Navona

Rome, Italy 00186

The Colosseum/Coliseum

Attraction | "Colosseum"

The Colosseum/Coliseum Photo, Rome, Italy
Yes, it's a colosseum. Excuse my irreverence, but instead of seeing a bunch of empty ruins, I'd rather see people interacting and life as opposed to death and decay. You can go anywhere and stare at buildings and time will pass by, but what significance is there unless your life is filled with people? I do marvel at the architecture, but ok, enough marveling let's get on with life...

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on August 21, 2004

The Colosseum/Coliseum
Piazza Del Colosseo
Rome, Italy 00184
+39 (06) 7004261

Siesta

Story/Tip

Arch Photo, Rome, Italy
Ok, if I was living and working in Italy, I'd love the idea of siesta, but when you're looking to do things it can be a little frustrating. While not as prevalent in the major tourist cities, in the smaller towns, they take siesta seriously--all the shops and restaurants close down and the best thing you can do is find a spot in a local park and read. APPROX. 2-5 PM. Places like Parma, Italy.
Several things you should know...with the exception of the landmarks, all the streets and buildings look the same, so unless you have an uncanny sense of direction, you probably want to take a cab or at least a tour. Speaking of cabs...traffic in Rome is not in any way ordered, you have cars all bunched up together with very little sense of right of way or who's ahead of who for that matter. If you're walking and have to cross a major intersection, stick to the crosswalks, and as for driving in Rome...I wouldn't advise it...