Sedona Journals

Sedona in the Summer

An August 2004 trip to Sedona by lprivett

Quote: This journal contains helpful information about Sedona, including restaurants, resort information, and sightseeing activities.

Sedona in the Summer

The red rocks are perfectly beautiful and truly red as a result of iron ore and oxygen (rust). The Grand Canyon is a 2 hour trip and very scenic. The roads on the way to the Canyon are like driving a roller coaster, only faster and curvier.Quick Tips: Rent an SUV. The roads to various attractions are sometimes absent of guardrails. If you plan to do any sightseeing on your own, some of the roads to the rocks are not paved. I rented a small SUV, Jeep Liberty, but it manuevered the roads very well.Best Way To Get Around: I strongly suggest a vehicle while in Sedona. I did not see one taxi while there. If you don't plan on leaving a specific area of Sedona, ie Uptown, Los Abrigod...Read More
Best Things Nearby:Bell's outlet store was across the street, as was the Coffee Pot restaurant and Safeway which had a Starbucks inside. The resort is also 2 minutes from the Sedona Airport Mesa, which has a great scenic overlook of the city. There is also a Walgreen's next door that has reasonably priced souvenirs and good prices on beer and alcohol.Best Things About the Resort:The unit was immaculate. It was clean and well stocked. Each unit has a gas fireplace. The staff were all welcoming.Resort Experience:I had a one-bedroom unit with a loft, which slept 6 people. It was very clean and the staff was friendly. The resort does not have many activitie...Read More

Villas Of Sedona
120 KALLOF PLACE
1-928-204-3400

Casa Rincon & Tapas Cantina

Restaurant | "Casa Rincon"

I arrived late to my resort on my first night in Sedona. The staff at the front desk told me there were only a couple of places in the area that stayed open after 9pm. I decided to venture out and try a mexican spot that was located right down the street. I ordered a combo that had a taco and enchilada and was served with rice and beans. The food was of poor quality and was not at all tasty. This restaurant boasted authentic mexican and later, on the Sedona channel, was quoted as being one of the best restaurants in the area. It was the absolute worst mexican food I have ever had in my entire life. It was tasteless as if no seasonings had been used in the preparation. On the plus side, Ca...Read More

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on August 19, 2004

Casa Rincon & Tapas Cantina
2620 West State Route 89A

Shugrue''s West

The food at Shugrue's was magnificient! I started my meal with a bowl of New England clam chowder which was absolutely delicious and full of clams. I then had a spinach salad which was to die for. It was so delicious that I actually asked for and received the recipe. It was served with a red wine vinegar and contained roasted beets, bread crumbs, breaded and fried artichokes, and fried parsnips. The funny thing is I don't like artichokes or beets! As an entree, I ordered the shrimp with a garlic scampi sauce, served with pasta. It too was delicious and the portion was more than adequate. For dessert, I had the chocolate cake which was out of this world. The waiter was friendly and att...Read More

Shugrue''s West
2250 West Hwy 89
520/282-2943

Canyon Breeze

I observed a 10% off coupon for Canyon Breeze at several different places. So, while in Uptown, I decided to stop in. It's more of a fast food place which also has an ice cream parlor and a coffee stand inside. I ordered a bean and cheese enchilada which was served with mexican rice. The portion was more than adequate for the price of $8, and it was somewhat tasty. They also offer wraps and other types of sandwiches.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on August 19, 2004

Canyon Breeze
300 North State Route 89A
+1 928 282 2112

Brooklyn Cafe

The Cafe stated they served New York cuisine. I have to disagree. They have a varied menu, much like a diner, but being from New Jersey, I would have to say eating there did not make me feel at home. I ordered the NE clam chowder which was delicious. I then ordered the fish and chips which were served with fries. The fish reminded me of Mrs. Paul's or Gorton's (frozen in a box) and the tarter sauce they served tasted stale (maybe they use an off brand of mayo).

The service was quick and friendly and they offer al fresco dining on their newly remodeled patio.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on August 19, 2004

Brooklyn Cafe
6246 State Route179
Sedona, Arizona 86351
+1 928 282 4161

Coffee Pot

Restaurant | "Coffee Pot Restaurant"

The Coffee Pot was conveniently located across the street from The Villas of Sedona on Highway 89A. It was recommended to me by one of the maintenance staff. Although they are only open for breakfast and lunch, this restaurant offers the biggest and best omlettes in town. They offer a choice of over 100 different omlettes which are accompanied with homefries or hashbrowns, and fresh homemade biscuits or toast. I ordered a shrimp and cheese omlette which was literally served to me in a blink of an eye. Definitely worth the trip.

Coffee Pot
2050 West State Route 89A

Cafe Jose

This restaurant is where the locals go. Located in West Sedona in the Safeway shopping center, it offers high quality Mexican and American food at very reasonable prices. I had a breakfast skillet with ham, sausage, homefries and a homemade biscuit. The food was perfectly seasoned and the portions are ample enough to take a doggie bag.

Cafe Jose
Highway 89A

Grand Canyon National Park

Attraction | "Grand Canyon"

Awesome!!! Being from the East Coast and never having visited the West Coast, I was truly amazed. Words cannot express the beauty I saw. Along the way, on Route 180, there is a Chevron gas station that sells the parking passes for $20. The passes are the same at the park entrance, but getting the pass ahead of time allows you to enter in the pre-paid line, instead of waiting. The pass is valid for 7 days.

Hiking is available at the park. There are free shuttles that take you to the various scenic routes in the park and run quite frequently.

Grand Canyon National Park
P.o. Box 129
Grand Canyon, Arizona 86023

Town of Jerome-National Historic Landmark

Attraction | "Jerome - A Mining Town"

Jerome is an old mining town and also used to be a ghost town. They now have many small art galleries as well as a state park. They also have a small canyon which no one mentioned, but the view was beautiful.

Jerome is located just outside of Sedona and takes about 25 minutes to reach. For your information, Wal-Mart is on your way on the left hand side. This was a small, but nice surprise.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on August 19, 2004

Town of Jerome-National Historic Landmark
Top of Cleopatra Hill
Jerome, Arizona

White Buffalo Reserve

Attraction | "The White Buffalo"

This reserve hosts 7 genuine white buffalos which is unheard of. At the time of my visit, they had just had a new baby (May 04). They also have goats and one lama. Admission is $5 per person. This attraction is located on the way from Sedona to the Grand Canyon.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on August 19, 2004