St. Maarten/St. Martin Journals

St. Martin

An August 2004 trip to St. Maarten/St. Martin by trod

Quote: Recently went to St. Martin. Beautiful island. My wife and I stayed on the French side at the Le Meridien. We would recommend this resort as it has an awesome beach and is very secluded.
The hotel was nice, but could have used some work. The air-conditioning did not work too well. The tiles in our bathroom were falling apart. We got a good deal and didn't mind. Had we spent a lot of money, we would have been upset at the quality of the resort. It needs a facelift. The location, however, is very romantic due to its seclusion. But be aware that the seclusion of the resort also requires that you either spend your entire stay at the resort or rent a car to get around. There is not much there in terms of nightlife or shopping, so if you are a person that likes to be on the go and do things, you will need to go into the local towns. If you are into just lazing around a great beach and en...Read More

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on December 17, 2004

La Belle France

This is the main restaurant at the Le Meridian hotel in St. Martin. It serves French-Creole cuisine at high prices. The food was good, but not great. I got a shrimp dish that was tasty, but very expensive. The restaurant has an open-air feel to it, and it was nice to feel the trade winds as you ate and hear the steel drum band playing in the background. Given the amount of excellent restaurants in some of the other towns on the island, I would not go out of my way to come here to eat. But if you are staying at the resort and don't mind spending some $$$, it is fine.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on December 17, 2004