Quebec Journals

A week of Quebec in summer

An August 2004 trip to Quebec by Lily135

Auberge Baker Photo, Quebec, Canada More Photos
Quote: This is our second time here in Quebec, the first time for our honeymoon. This time we had our new born baby with us. Our main reason to choose this destination was the fabulous Quebec cuisine. This time, we tried sugar shack and golfing.

A week of Quebec in summer

Quartier Petit Champlain Photo, Quebec, Canada

We took our car, so other than going into the city, we drove to the destination. When we went to the city, we parked the car in the parking lot and just walked, walked, and walked.
Best Things Nearby:Quebec city, golf, sugar shack, winery, bakery, and a really nice restaurant.Best Things About the Resort:This resort is very clean, and they gave you some discount coupons for a haircut, massage and some museum. I used the discounts to get a massage and a haircut. The massage was supposed to be 90 min, but it was more like 70 min, and they added a 15% service tax, so it came out to be something like 63 Canadian dollars. It was still a lot cheaper than the same service in the US, though. The haircut was good, too, but they did not speak English at all, and they only took Canadian dollars.Resort Experience:I came to this place twice. The unit...Read More

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on August 21, 2004

Aux Anciens Canadiens

Restaurant | "Anciens Canadiens"

Aux Anciens Canadiens Photo, Quebec City, Quebec
We went for an early special; therefore the price was good, and it was a lot more casual. I imagine if you go there in the evening, it could have been more formal. This place seems to have very good traditional Quebec cuisine. I like their blue linens and all the decoration.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on August 21, 2004

Aux Anciens Canadiens
34 Rue Saint Louis
Quebec City, Quebec G1R 4P3

Saint-Amour

Restaurant | "Saint Amour"

This restaurant makes you feel like you are in a restaurant somewhere in Europe. This is not Quebec cuisine, but French cuisine. They have very sophisticated service and offer beautiful food presentation. We happened to find this place as we walked by, but I also found it mentioned in a lot of guidebooks. I ordered lobster along with other things to complete meal. The lobster dish that they make is something I was looking for. You don't need to fight with it to eat, but rather elegantly you can enjoy its meal, because they take meat and reassemble back onto the very nice source, which are made from lobster with other nice vegetable.

Saint-Amour
48 rue Sainte-Ursule
Quebec City, Quebec G1R 4E2

Auberge Baker

Auberge Baker Photo, Quebec, Canada
We cannot wait to come back to this restaurant. This place is elegant, but it has a friendly atmosphere, which is difficult to find in the US. We avoided going there on prime time, because of my son. This place is so classy that we did not want to bother other people. They had this classic looking white baby high chair for my son to sit in. The first time I came here, I had blood pudding and my husband had meat pie, which was his favorite. I know blood pudding sounds a little bit scary, but I enjoyed it as very nice Quebec cuisine. This time I started with chicken liver mousse and fruit marmalade, Game consommé with Port wine, bison stew and chocolate cake for desert. My husband ordered healthy course...Read More

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on August 21, 2004

Auberge Baker
8790 Chemin Royal
Quebec City, Quebec G0A 1N0

My husband is a musician, so he seems to find this place to be very interesting, not that I was not interested, too. The owner of the museum had quite a collection of a few phonographs, and he gave us very nice tour. He also mentioned that there is another museum about Edison in Kyoto, Japan. Next time we go there, we would like to visit it as well.

Musee Edison du Phonographe
9812, rue Royale, Ste-Anne-de-Beaupré
Quebec City, Quebec

I always wanted to start golfing, but I found the prospect of learning quite intimidating. This place happens to be close to our timeshare club vacation, Toutes Saisons, so I decided to give it a try. Since I had no clue where to start, I took a private lesson for an hour. It was a good beginning. The instructor was good so that I was taken from the point in which I did not know how to hold a club, to being able to at least hit a ball! Compared to the US or other places I know, the private lesson here was had for quite a good price, actually a real bargain. I cannot expound on my recommendation about this place because I did not even go to the course, but for the starter lesson, this ...Read More

sugar shack

Story/Tip

sugar shack Photo, Quebec, Canada
Every sugar shack was somehow hidden from the main street. Since we do not read French, we might have missed the sign. After some driving, we finally found one place called l’En-Tailleur. The season is between February and April, so not many things were going on. If you make a reservation or you find the right tour to go with, they have a kitchen to serve you nice meals which are cooked with maple syrup. Luckily, when we went there, some tour group was there, so they were demonstrating some sugaring activity.

de-marie

Story/Tip

de-marie Photo, Quebec, Canada
This seems very known bakery in this area. When we drove by this place, the big sightseeing bus was parked in that parking lot and a lot of people were gathering around this classic looking brick house. I decided to go inside, but for some reason I did not see much so I decided not to stay. Next day, I saw this place in guidebook and decided to give one more try, at least to try their famous bread, so book says. This time there was no sightseeing bus. My husband, my son and I went inside, and bought a loaf of bread, which is a half white, half wheat. When we came back to our condo, we tried the bread. We just could not stop eating. It was soft, light, and scrumptious. We tried just bread, with maple b...Read More