Gainesville Journals

Main Street City Gainesville

A travel journal to Gainesville by willow

Longstreet Gravesite Photo, Gainesville, Georgia More Photos
Quote: Like most north Georgia towns, Gainesville is competing and benefiting from its proximiy to Atlanta.

Main Street City Gainesville

I love camping on Lake Lanier! It is one of the most peaceful places we have ever visited.

One of my other hobbies is family history research and one branch of my family helped settle this area in 1822. Therefore I feel vested interest though my family has since moved on.

Gainesville is a great hub to work from if you're visiting the North Georgia Area. It has a wide selection of accommadations and restaurants and is less than an hour from just about anything you could want or need.

Tent and RV sites are available, rates are $12 per night with a weekly discount. This park is located on Lake Sidney Lanier. We choose a secluded site at the edge of the lake and enjoyed wonderful views of waterfowl and lakeside blooms.

Fishing is allowed in the lake but we left that to the waterfowl.

Amenities include a day camp area which has a fresh water beach, playground, picnic area and volleyball.

Bolding Mill Campground
4055 Chestatee Road
Gainesville, Georgia 30506

Holiday Inn

Hotel

This Holiday Inn meets that standard we expect from the chain. The usual amenities were proveided. The desk clerk was especially helpful with directions.

Nice location, this Holiday Inn is on the main street. The traffic bothered me after a few nights and on future visits we elected to camp.

Holiday Inn
726 Jesse Jewell Pky.
Gainesville, Georgia

This museum features exhibits which represent the history of the Northeast Georgia area. Special exhibits dedicated to Ed Dodd/Mark Trail comics, General James Longstreet, and Cabbage Patch Kids.

The curator told me an anecdote, "cotton built all those beautiful white columned homes you see and chickens built every brick house in Hall County." She was of course referring to the mainstay of Hall County economics, poultry farming and attached industries.

Georgia Mountains Museum
311 Green Street Northwest
Gainesville, Georgia 30501

Longstreet Gravesite Photo, Gainesville, Georgia
A large impressive granite monument mark the resting place of Gen. James Longstreet, CSA, second in command of the Southern Army, and affectionately referred to by Gen. Lee as "My Old War Horse."

Longstreet Gravesite
Jesse Jewell Parkway
Gainesville, Georgia 30501

Banks Crossing

Located less than one hour from Gainesville this 1,000,000 sq. feet of shopping is a shoppers dream. Included are three separate complexes: Tanger Factory Outlet Center, the Commerce Factory Stores and The Pottery.

8 motels and 29 restaurants are available for marathon shoppers.

We have found buys as much as 95% department store prices. Dress shirts for $2 and name brand sweaters for $5. Seasonal gifts for $5 and less.

Banks Crossing