Nanaimo Journals

Glorious Nanaimo

A travel journal to Nanaimo by Melodydunn

Just outside Nanaimo Photo, Nanaimo, British Columbia More Photos
Quote: I just moved to Nanaimo 3 weeks ago and feel like this is too good to be a permanent residence. I feel like I am on a LONG vacation!

Glorious Nanaimo

Just outside Nanaimo Photo, Nanaimo, British Columbia
I am now into my fifth month in Nanaimo and still love it here. I live within a block to the harbor seawall and walkway. There is a beautiful long walk with blackberries everywhere. At some point on the walkway, you will hit the park area with a big bandstand, where in the summer there is almost always someone playing music there. There is a HUGE playground for the kids and a manmade beach and lagoon for the kiddies as well. There is so much to do as you keep going. There are several quaint shops and a perfect little coffeeshop where you can watch the seaplanes come and go. This place can't get any better.Quick Tips: It is very hot in the summer and mild in the winter. It does rain here durin...Read More

Travelodge Nanaimo

Hotel | "Travelodge"

It was in the middle of July when I got into Nanaimo and checked into the hotel. The room was a decent size, but one thing that was horrible was that there was only a table fan and no air-conditioning. I thought I was going to die of the heat. To be fair, I hear it is never usually hot enough to justify air-conditioners in houses and businesses.

The room was clean and the staff was helpful and friendly. They have a continental breakfast set out each morning for the guests. There is no pool, unfortunately, at this hotel and no restaurant. The Husky home-style restaurant is across the parking lot, though.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on December 29, 2004

Travelodge Nanaimo
96 TERMINAL AVENUE NO
Nanaimo, British Columbia V9S4J2
1-250-754-6355

Pacific Shores Resort & Spa Ltd

Hotel | "Pacific Shores Nature Resort"

Best Things Nearby:Where do I start? I was quite impressed with Coombs Farmers Market. Not only was it a nice place but there are goats that live on the roof! Parksville beach was unreal. The trees and views from everywhere are just breathtaking. Best Things About the Resort:There are several salt water aqauriums in the resort that are beautiful: one in the spa and one in the resaurant. There is a wonderal playground shaped like a pirate ship on-site that keeps the kids entertained for hours. Also the on-site restaurant, The Landing Grill, is well worth any money spent there.Resort Experience:The units at Pacific shores are very elegantly decorated, clean and ...Read More

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on August 11, 2004

Pacific Shores Resort & Spa Ltd
1-1600 Strougler Road
Parksville, British Columbia V9P 9B7

ACMe Rib and Seafood House

Restaurant | "Acme Food Company"

I really enjoyed this restaurant. We were at the back of the restaurant in a sultan-style setting. We were sitting at a larger table on a platform with sheer drapes and harem-ish decorations. Most of the people at the table had sushi, but I had a pesto penne that filled me to the brim. The portions were very large. We had a great waitress who made sure we were well taken care of.

When the desert came, we had cheesecake with raspberry sauce. Yum! I gained 10 pounds that night. As I was sitting watching other tables eat, I wanted to try all the things that they had. They had quite a mix of different styles of food!!

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on December 29, 2004

ACMe Rib and Seafood House
14 Commercial Street
Nanaimo, British Columbia

We have been to several aquatic centres around the country, but this is the best by far! The locker rooms are clean and large, and there is a huge pirate ship with waterfalls, slides, and turning wheels. The ship is in a huge pool area for the smaller kiddies. Next to this pool is the large wave pool. Talk about FUN! Next to the wave pool and within the same pool is a lazy river that has a nice current. I can take my 2-year-old in this and she loves it. There are three large waterslides of varying speeds. You have to walk up three flights of stairs, but it is worth it. There is a large lap pool, sauna, hot tub, and diving boards. On site there is also a gym and a cafeteria. I also saw a childcare cent...Read More

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on December 30, 2004

Nanaimo Aquatic Centre
Nanaimo
Nanaimo, British Columbia

This is a nice clean casino. The attendants do their jobs well. This is not a huge casino, but there are things you can purchase, like coffee, pop, and snacks. There is no alcohol on site. I win every time I go in. I love it! There is ample parking outside as well as underground parking. This mall is close to everything, and the buses stop just outside. Security is good as well.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on December 30, 2004