This is the place of very ancient origin. San Giovanny e Reparata, originally Lucca’s cathedral, now part of the Duomo, is on the site of a pagan temple and also rests on Roman thermal baths – isn’t that amazing?
Duomo di San Martino (the St Martin Cathedral) open Mon through Fri from 9am to 6pm, Sat 9am until 7pm. It is free like the other churches in Lucca. (This is not the case for many other churches in Italy, unfortunately). The cathedral was consecrated in 1070 by Pope Alexander II, previously the bishop in the city. The façade of the church was designed to accommodate the pre-existing bell tower. The reliefs over the left doorway of the portico are believed to be by Nicola Pisano.