Jekyll Island Journals

Jekyll Island We Visit

A travel journal to Jekyll Island by willow

Quote: Jekyll Island is the southernmost of the Golden Isles. The island offers year round vacation and recreational activities.

Jekyll Island We Visit

Jekyll offers 10 miles of beautiful beaches, 63 hiles of golf, tennis, a water amusement park, fishing, marina and a beautifully restored historic district.

There is so much to see and do here, I always have to remind myself to slow down, relax and enjoy the beauty and comfort of this Atlantic Island.

For better enjoyment of the area, you will need a car.
The campground is located on the north end of the island, off the beach. 220 sites are available, daily rates range from $12 to $17, depending on partial or full hook-up service. Cable TV is $2 extra. A coin laundry and 2 public bathhouses are provided. This is a beautiful campground with plenty of shade provided by moss draped live oak trees. The wildlife can be a nuisance. The raccoons are brave and innovative at getting into your food.

Jekyll Island Campground
Opposite The Clam Creek Picnic Area
Jekyll Island, Georgia 31527

The hotel is located in a setting of majestic live oaks with beach access. The property is well kept, the rooms are tastfully furnished with the usual amenities provided. There is a full service restaurant on-site which offers weekend all-you-can-eat buffets. Outdoor pool, bike rentals and tennis courts are available.

Holiday Inn Beach Resort
200 S BEACHVIEW DR
912-635-3311

Jekyll Island Club Hotel: Grand Dining Room

Restaurant | "Jekyll Island Club Hotel Grand Dining Room"

The Grand Dining Room is open for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I'm sure dinner is a dressy affair, though we've never been there for the evening meal. This is a favorite lunch place for us when we are walking or shopping the historic district. Luncheon specials of usually soup and a sandwich are about $5.

Jekyll Island Club Hotel: Grand Dining Room
375 Riverview Drive

Blackbeard's Restaurant

Restaurant | "Blackbeards Restaurant"

God local seafood at reasonable prices. We usually order shrimp, scallops, and oysters fried a golden brown and served with salad and choice of potato. Lunch for 2 is less than $20, dinner less than $30.

Ask for a table near a window. The beach view is manificent. We have spotted dolphin playing off shore. In late afternoon you can see the shrimp boats trolling for a fresh catch.

Blackbeard's Restaurant
200 North Beach Drive

South Beach Dunes

Attraction | "South Beach Dunes Area"

This shady park offers a walk way across the dunes to the beach. The lovely sand dunes that lie along the coastal beach originate on the other side of the island from the marsh. Dead marsh grass and loose sand is pulled out to sea by the receding tide then washed back to shore forming the rolling hills of sand. As a child I delighted in climbing the dunes and picking the sea oats. I now recognize the dunes as a fragile environment. Georgia law now prohibits the picking of sea oats. Careful examination from the walkway during the spring months often reveal turtle trails. The great sea turtles come ashore to lay their eggs in the sand and attempt to conceal the area by throwing loose sand an...Read More

South Beach Dunes
South Beach

Emerald Princess Dinner & Casino Cruise

Attraction | "Emerald Princess"

This is a casino cruise ship that depart nightly Tuesday through Sunday. We are not gamblers. Neverless I carefully left my money and credit cards ashore, tucked $200 into my pocket and proceeded to board. My husband refused to try gambling but enticed by the included meal he agreed to come along. As soon as the casino opened I hurriedly fed my money into the slot machines, within 20 minutes I had lost my $200 and conned another $10 from my spouse. A long evening tarried before us as we lingered over our meal then sought fresh air on the upper deck. I played Bingo on the return trip and won a T-shirt. Small consolation for the additional $20 the Bingo cards cost. Still some folks did win and...Read More

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on November 15, 2000

Emerald Princess Dinner & Casino Cruise
1 Gisco Point Drive
Jekyll Island, Georgia 31521

We visit this area for the scenery rather than to fish. The live oak trees in this area are older than our country for a live oak is said to live 300 years. The thick gray moss that drapes from the trees is not a parasite, niether is it moss nor Spanish. It is simply a plant living on another plant. It obtains moisture and nourishment from the air. Whatever the nature of its livelihood the effect is dramatic and lovely it softens the character of the old oaks and hangs like a delicate gray lace.

Clam Creek Picnic Area
North Island
Jekyll Island, Georgia

In the 1880s a group of the world's richest families bought Jekyll island as a collective winter retreat. The Rockefellers, Morgans, Vanderbilts, and others built oppulent 'cottages' along the banks of Jekyll Creek. During the depression and war years the community fell to ruin until the state of Georgia purchased the island in 1947 and efforts were begun to save the structures. Many of the homes and outbuildings are enjoying new life as speciality shops. The Grand Hotel and its restaurant have reopened. We always visit the used book store and the ice cream stand without fail.

Jekyll Island Historic District