Quebec City Journals

An Thanksgiving Getaway

A November 1997 trip to Quebec City by AnaMH

Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac Photo, Quebec City, Quebec More Photos
Quote: I did nothing but relax, be pampered and indulge in culinary delights during my visit to Quebec City. I would wake up, then wander through the winding cobblestone street in search of the next delight this town would bring me. What better way to spend a few lazy days!

An Thanksgiving Getaway

Quebec City Photo, Quebec City, Quebec
I came to the 300-year-old walled city of Quebec City during the American Thanksgiving weekend looking for a place to spend 4 days unwinding, relaxing and just plain being lazy. I found what I was looking for. Don’t get me wrong there are things to do, plenty actually, but I was going to have none of those interfere with my weekend of indulgence. There is no other place to stay but at the castle-like Chateau Frontenac. From this vantage point, you can stroll to Vieux-Quebec. Once in this area visit the Citadelle, home to Canada’s only French speaking regiment, the Royal 22nd Regiment. There is a changing of the guard daily during the summer months. Take time to stroll Grande-Allee Bou...Read More

Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac

Hotel | "Chateau Frontenac"

Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac Photo, Quebec City, Quebec
The hotel is built high on a bluff overlooking the St. Lawrence River. It looks like a fairytale castle, especially glimmering in the snow. It is no wonder that it claims to be one of Canada’s most photographed buildings. The Canadian Pacific Railway built it in the late 1880’s. The red-brick building with its cooper roof sitting perched on the Cap Diamant can seen from almost all of Quebec City. This made it easy never to get lost! The hotel has standard rooms, junior suites and one or two bedroom suites. When I checked in the hotel was not very full and I requested an upgrade and got a Studio Suite overlooking the St. Lawrence. It was a very spacious bedroom with two double beds, a sittin...Read More

Fairmont Le Chateau Frontenac
1 RUE DES CARRIERES
Quebec City, Quebec G1R4P5
418 692-3861

Le Cochon Dingue

A great place to come in and have a warm soup and sandwich. The most famous sandwich in Quebec is the croque-monsieur, which is an open-faced ham and melted cheese sandwich. I had the most delicious one here along with an almost clear chicken soup. The bistro serves lunch and dinner in a casual, fun atmosphere.

Le Cochon Dingue
46 Boulevard Champlain
Quebec City, Quebec G1K 4H7
(418) 692-2013

Cafe De Paris

Restaurant | "Café De Paris "

The restaurant closes from November through March. So how did I enjoy it while I was there?? I did not eat there but enjoyed a look around. One of the chambermaids at the hotel knew the manager and told me to stop by because they would be there starting to "work" on the restaurant. I found myself there and he was kind enough to give me a tour and made me a wonderful cup of espresso. He showed me the private rooms and the reception room, plus offered me a free meal during the season. This restaurant is known for the French cuisine including Chateaubriand, Beef Wellington and seafood. The menu has several Italian items for selections.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on November 14, 2000

Cafe De Paris
66 Rue St-Louis
Quebec City, Quebec

Le Vendome

Restaurant | "Le Vendome Restaurant "

This wonderful restaurant is listed as Upscale-Casual to Fine but I rate it DIVINE. It seems like a Parisian restaurant with its excellent food, décor, wait staff and overall ambiance. They are known for their veal, rabbit, rack of lamb and seafood. I had the dinner chicken specialty of the day, which was chicken in hunter’s sauce with vegetables and potatoes. I had a to die for éclair for dessert.

Le Vendome
36 Côte-de-la-montagne (near Port Dauphin)
Quebec, Quebec G1K 4E2

Marie Clarisse (Le)

Restaurant | "Le Marie Clarisse "

This is the place to come for a romantic dinner. It is located in a cozy and intimate setting in a 325-year-old house. There is a fireplace, the wood-beam ceiling and stonewalls in this wonderful upscale restaurant. I didn’t come in search of romance but for fine seafood, which I was told was excellent. It was! I had a baked fish dish in a potato, onions, cheese and wine sauce. I had the escargot to start off with, so no dessert for me.

Marie Clarisse (Le)
12 du Petit Champlain St
Quebec, Quebec G1K 4H4
+1 418 692 0857

Champlain (Le)

Restaurant | "Le Champlain "

This is a fine restaurant located in the Chateau Frontenac. I ate here the first night since I didn’t want to venture outside since I had arrived late. The servers are in 17th century costume but still retain an air of elegance. The menu is mostly French items. I was tired after spending the day traveling so I wanted something simple and light. I selected Seafood Bisque and a house salad. Both were excellent as was the bread and the espresso after drink.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on November 14, 2000

Champlain (Le)
1 des Carrières St
Quebec, Quebec G1R 4P5
+1 418 692 3861

Musee de la Civilization

Attraction | "Musee de la Civilisation"

The Musee de la Civilisation is the most impressive of Quebec City’s museums. I asked the concierge at the hotel for the one museum to visit and he pointed me towards this one. The building is gorgeous and fits this town to the “T”. There are four permanent exhibitions, which are “Objects of Civilisation” (antique artifacts), “Memories” (Quebec from settlers time to the present), “La Barque” (remains of a 250 year old boat found on the site of the present museum) and “Messages” (a look at the history of communication). There are several exhibits that change during the year and I thoroughly enjoyed one revolving around Languages.

Musee de la Civilization