San Simeon Journals

San Simeon

A January 1987 trip to San Simeon by Travel Queen

Quote: San Simeon is a nice little ocean town that's known for the infamous Heart's Castle.

San Simeon

Visiting the Hearst Castle is the obvious highlight in this town. It's quite a tour and really illustrates the opulence of the William Randolph Hearst.

There are several hotels to choose from in this town. We got a package deal that included breakfast and dinner at Bramble's at the El Rey Inn.

a car is a necessity.

Quality Inn San Simeon

Hotel | "The El Rey Inn"

It''s been a while since we stayed but it seemed nice to me back then. The room rate included free breakfast. We also got a 2 night package deal that I believe included dinner at Bramble''s and the Hearst Castle Tour. The hotel has a web site.. elreyinn.com. They''re listed as a 3 diamond by AAA. Hot tubs were nice to use in the cold ocean air.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on November 14, 2000

Quality Inn San Simeon
9260 Castillo Drive
San Simeon, California 93452

I found this B & B in my AAA book. It has 4 Diamonds. It looks so romantic. There''s only 6 minisuites with fireplaces and it overlooks Moonstone Beach.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on November 14, 2000

Blue Whale Inn
6736 Moonstone Beach Drive
San Simeon, California 93428

Brambles serves prime rib, seafood, pasta and steak. I remember they were good. Maybe not fantastic, but good. I see in my AAA book that another restaurant is rated with 3 diamonds called Sow's Ear Cafe in Cambria. I'm going to try this one next time I go. They offer baby back rib, seafood and chicken.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on November 14, 2000

Brambles Dinner House
4005 Burton Drive
Cambria, California 93428

The Hearst Castle

Story/Tip

The Hearst Castle is really something. Last time I was there, there were 2 different tours because the place is so huge. It's fun to imagine the type of Hollywood actors and characters who used to frequent the house. The tours are well done. I'm looking forward to taking our 11 and 12 year old now that they're old enough to comprehend this type of thing. The official website, hearstcastle.org shows you much more than I could explain.