Chicago Journals

Chicago - I Should Just Move There

An August 2003 trip to Chicago by blackey

Pizzeria Uno Photo, Chicago, Illinois More Photos
Quote: Shopaholics and food-lovers beware! You'll go home fat and poor, but it will all be worth it and you'll be begging for more.

Renaissance Chicago Hotel

Hotel | "Renaissance"

Renaissance Chicago Hotel Photo, Chicago, Illinois
I think this was a high-end hotel, but we got it on priceline for $80/night. I accidentally booked our other hotel for six nights instead of seven, so I had to get on priceline and get a hotel for one night, and this is the one we got. It was very pretty from the outside and the lobby was gorgeous. We were a little disappointed with the rooms - they really needed a renovation. The price, however, was hard to beat, and the location was excellent. The Renaissance was walking distance from Michigan Ave. and right on top of the red line El station! No schlepping luggage around town if you stay at this hotel!

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on July 8, 2004

Renaissance Chicago Hotel
1 W WACKER DRIVE
312-372-7200

Hyatt Regency Chicago

Hotel | "Hyatt Regency"

Hyatt Regency Chicago Photo, Chicago, Illinois
We LOVED this hotel. I researched and found a lot of complaints about the size of the hotel, but it didn't faze us, as we spent most of our time outside the hotel or inside sleeping. The recent renovations made the rooms very cool and modern. The location is great, right between the Magnificent Mile and the Loop. It's not really close to an El station, but walking there wasn't bad when we needed to. One night we ate at one of the little pizza restuarants in the hotel and the food was forgettable. Also, The BIG bar was overpriced and full of suits, pantyhose, and navy pumps - no fun for two trendy twenty-somethings. We paid $80/night for our room through priceline. I would recommend this hotel t...Read More

Hyatt Regency Chicago
151 East Wacker Drive

Pizzeria Uno

Pizzeria Uno Photo, Chicago, Illinois
Too bad they don't accept reservations. During lunchtime, put your name on the waiting list before you get hungry. Then you should leave, shop, and come back an hour later ready to eat. A small pizza is more than enough for two very hungry people. I didn't believe them, but it's true. This was the first deep-dish pizza place my husband and I tried. I absolutely loved it and he didn't. I'm actually thinking of getting it flown to me here in Tennessee. Now, I almost had a heart attack when I found their pizza at Walmart, but to my dismay, it wasn't the pizza I fell in love with. If you've tried the chain or their deli pizza in Walmart, it's not even close to the same. You need to try it in Chi...Read More

Pizzeria Uno
29 East Ohio St.

Corner Bakery Cafe

Restaurant | "Corner Bakery"

My husband and I loved waking up in the morning and walking down to the Corner Cafe to get breakfast. We did this every morning throughout our trip. This place can be packed, but that's a good sign. They've got homemade French toast, muffins, eggs and bacon, granola...you name it. Stand in line, it's worth the price and the fresh food. You'll be ready for a day of shopping after breakfast at the Corner Bakery. We found that we were rarely hungry for dinner after eating here in the morning and then grabbing a snack for lunch.

Corner Bakery Cafe
224 S. Michigan Ave.
Chicago, Illinois 60604

Cadillac Palace Theatre

Attraction | "Cadillac Theatre"

Even if there isn't a show to see when you're in town for a visit, check out this theatre. It is beautiful and I could kick myself for forgetting my camera when we went to see The Lion King. Go inside and transport yourself back in time. The best way to describe the feel is old-world luxurious. Just go.

Cadillac Palace Theatre
151 West Randolph St
+1 312 977 1700

Museum of Science & Industry

Attraction | "Museum of Science and Industry"

Museum of Science & Industry Photo, Chicago, Illinois
I couldn't wait to go back to this museum. I remembered being in awe of everything as a child. What a disappointment. The musuem is in desperate need of some renovations. A lot of the exhibits were broken. I could definitely tell its prime was back when I was a child. I'm sure it would still be very exciting for kids to get their hands on everything, but without kids, this is a museum to skip.

Member Rating 1 out of 5 on July 8, 2004

Museum of Science & Industry
5700 South Lake Shore Drive
Chicago, Illinois 60637

Free Museum Days

Attraction | "Museums Campus"

Free Museum Days Photo, Chicago, Illinois
I must first say that I was coming down with a cold on the few days we spent at the museum campus. I'm not sure it would have mattered much. The aquarium was cool if you haven't been to an aquarium in a long time. I don't think it was any better than the Chattanooga Aquarium, which is mostly a freshwater aquarium. One high point was the dolphin show, which was cool, but to an animal lover like myself, the pools seemed a bit too small for all of those dolphins. I left the aquarium feeling sad for the dolphins. Not a good feeling for me. The Field Museum was the height of my sickness. I don't think we even saw the whole thing. The Egyptian artifacts in the basement were really interesting, a...Read More

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on July 8, 2004

Free Museum Days
Throughout the City
Chicago, Illinois

Chicago Duck Tours

Attraction | "Architecture & Hot Dogs"

Chicago Duck Tours Photo, Chicago, Illinois
The best part of Chicago is that you can walk, walk, walk everywhere. And you never know what amazing piece of history or architecture is around the next corner. Just strap on some comfy shoes and explore the neighborhoods with your camera. When you get hungry...stop and eat a hot dog. They weren't as good as everyone said, but you know what they say..."When in Rome...eat a Vienna hot dog"!

Chicago Duck Tours
600 North Clark St
Chicago, Illinois 60610
+1 312 461 1133

Navy Pier

Navy Pier Photo, Chicago, Illinois
I will definitely give Navy Pier another chance. Maybe we'll try the night time fireworks. When we were the in hot August, Navy Pier was less than expected. It was shoulder-to-shoulder crowded and HOT. Where was that Lake Michigan breeze??? It looked to me that the kids were enjoying themselves. The walk there is longer than expected, so take a free trolley. We took one back, but ended up talking politics with the crazy man in front of us. Maybe we should have walked back. Regardless, Navy Pier is a destination that you should see. The park at the entrance is gorgeous. You can rent bikes or rollerblades and head up lakeshore to one of the beaches from here. If you don't want to go into Navy...Read More

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on July 8, 2004

Navy Pier
600 East Grand Avenue

Wrigley Field

Attraction | "Cubs Game"

Wrigley Field Photo, Chicago, Illinois
I'm super sad that tickets are sold out already (July 7th) for this September. Get your tickets early! They go on sale sometime in April. There's nothing better than the camaraderie that accompanies hopping on the El and heading to Wrigley Field on game night. Even though they lost the game we were at, I felt as if I was enjoying a piece of American history. A trip to Chicago isn't complete without a Cubs game...I guess my upcoming trip won't be complete.

Wrigley Field
1060 West Addison Street
Chicago, Illinois 60613

Wendella Boat Tours

Wendella Boat Tours Photo, Chicago, Illinois
We loved the boat tour. It was kind of a view of town from the outside. You are able to get views of neighborhoods, buildings that you couldn't get just walking around. Also, you'll learn a lot about the architecture and history behind these buildings and neighborhoods. It's also a good way to relax and give your feet a rest. I would like to try and evening fireworks tour out to Navy Pier next time.

Wendella Boat Tours
Michigan Avenue At The Chicago River

Oak Street Beach

Oak Street Beach Photo, Chicago, Illinois
We didn't swim on this trip, but the walk on the beach was great. Rent some wheels, or walk the jogging paths along the lakeshore. It's free and it's a great way to view the city skyline. Lake Michigan adds a bit of South Beach to Chicago...they even TRIED to get some Palm Trees to survive.

Oak Street Beach