Antigua Journals

Guatemala: Antigua

Best of IgoUgo

A November 1998 trip to Antigua by kylebarber

Guatemala Photo, Antigua, Guatemala More Photos
Quote: How an accidental online auction purchase resulted in the best adventure vacation of my life

Guatemala: Antigua

Guatemala Photo, Antigua, Guatemala
Climbing to the top of the Agua volcano just outside of Antigua was at first miserable and frightening, but then exhilirating once I grew accustomed to the thin air. Looking down on the valleys below was a definite highlight of my trip.Quick Tips: Do not try and do Guatemala in a week or less. I figured it would be a small, uninteresting country with not many attractions or sights to keep my attention. After nine days of travel I was frustrated at how many things I would not be able to do because of time constraints.Best Way To Get Around: Getting to/from Antigua and Guatemala City is easy, as there are multiple van services. I was warned repeatedly not to take taxis anywhere in G...Read More
Radisson Villa Antigua Photo, Antigua, Guatemala
This is a very classy resort less than a half mile outside the center of town. I managed to pay far below their standard room rate by winning a seven night timeshare stay that was auctioned online for $99. I think they normally charge over $170 per night for a standard room, but the place was pretty empty (it is a 139 room resort) and I imagine you can find a similar deal with a little research. Anyway, the hotel is to be recommended, and its proximity to town makes it safe for going out at night. There are two swimming pools, a limited gym, a very odd nightclub, and one of the town's best resturants.

Radisson Villa Antigua
9A Calle Poniente

Welten

This is the best resturant in Antigua, bar none. The food is wonderful, but the atmosphere is amazing!! You can sit by the romantic pool with floating candles and flowers, or in one of the beautifully decorated dining rooms with orchids and local handicrafts. Everyone enjoyed their entrees, but the walnut sauce on homemade pasta was the big winner. One thing to consider: the odd-tasting ice cream gave most everyone in our party upset stomachs later on that evening.

Welten
4a Calle Oriente 21

Dona Luisa's

Dona Luisa's Photo, Antigua, Guatemala
This is the most popular restaurant in Antigua, for it offers quality food at cheap prices in a fun environment. Most of the fare is comfortably familiar for U.S. visitors, including the difficult to find 'American' breakfast staples of pancakes and waffles. The restaurant is housed in an old colonial era home, with the doorways wide open to create a breezy, well lit environment. The quality bakery items can be purchased to go as well.

Dona Luisa's
4a Calle Oriente 11

Climbing Volcan de Agua

Attraction | "Climbing the Volcan de Agua"

Climbing Volcan de Agua Photo, Antigua, Guatemala
The tourist agent who booked the trip assured me that it was a leisurely stroll for intermediate hikers. This is not the case! It's hard work with very thin air. I did not think I was going to complete the hike, which I found astounding considering how relatively easy it was supposed to be. But I felt a great sense of accomplishment looking down on the clouds and passing airplanes from Mary's perch atop the volcano.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on November 10, 2000

Climbing Volcan de Agua
Outside of town a few miles