Lincoln Journals

Lincoln Off The Main Trail

A May 2004 trip to Lincoln by Irish Tinker

Quote: While visiting family in Lincoln, I was able to sneak away for some quiet time here and there. In this journal, you'll read about some of attractions that are easily missed while visiting Lincoln.

Lincoln Off The Main Trail

I found Wyuka Cemetery fascinating!!!! Also enjoyed the Prairie Park. For more info read on.

Driving is the best way to get around this small yet spread out city.

Wyuka Funeral Home- Cemetery -Park

Attraction | "Wyuka Cemetery"

This is a large cemetery that must have tours run through as I saw about 30 tour stop signs through-out the park/cemetery. I was excited to find the grave of Gordon Macrae Rodgers and Hammerstein, star of Oklahoma and Carousel. There are many Lincoln historical figures such as congressmen and governors. There is also the grave of Starkweather, a convicted and executed murderer, though I chose not to seek this grave out. There is a beautiful memorial for each war, a gorgeous firefighter memorial, and a piece of the twin towers. The cemetery doubles as a park, and I read that you can see plays and other performances in the pavilion.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on June 11, 2004

Wyuka Funeral Home- Cemetery -Park
3600 O Street
Lincoln, Nebraska 68510

Pioneer Park

Here you will find a park great for hiking, biking, picnicking, or playing baseball. There is even a spot to hold pinewood derbies. Must sees: The giant Indian statue making smoke signals, the buffalo statue, and the pretty lake.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on June 11, 2004

Pioneer Park
South Coddington Street
Lincoln, Nebraska

Woods Park

A small park with tennis courts, hiking, playscape, swimming, and picnicking. It is just OK. It was very windy the day we were here, so we didn't stay very long. However, it was a nice patch of green to stretch our legs and let the kids run free.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on June 11, 2004