Macau Journals

Macau, A Slice of Europe.

A travel journal to Macau by travel2000

Ruins of the Church of St. Paul Photo, Macau, China More Photos
Quote: I have been to Macau a million times, since I was a young child growing up in Hong Kong. On my first trip to Italy, my first comment was, "This is so much like Macau!!!" This city is a world away from Hong Kong...discover why through my old and recent recollections.

Macau, A Slice of Europe.

church Photo, Macau, China
Though my highlights have always been visiting my relatives, I have learned to appreciate Macau through tourists' eyes during my most recent visit. The good Macanese meals are always a plus. (Portugese food with local influence...I don't know if you can find African Chicken in Portugal). Driving over the bridge (now there are two) to Taipa and Coloane, shopping for such delicacies as chinese tea, passing snake stores in the old streets, and darting motorcycles and swerving cars and pedestrians were all highlights.Quick Tips: Though this Portugese colony has since reverted back to Chinese rule last December, not much has change. It has had its share of bad press in the time before the handover...Read More
This is a luxury hotel. I got a low rate when I last stayed there through a connection with my relatives, so I don't know if that's the going rate. The rooms are really nice, all the comforts of the western world. This is a full resort, with gym, spa, green lawns with great views, nice big pool, poolside bars, tennis courts, and ping-pong tables. We stayed there for two nights. We also had a good meal at the hotel Macanese restaurant, Flamingo. It has a good atmosphere and excellent food. This hotel has been around for awhile, and it's still going strong. This is their website: http://macau.hyatt.com.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on November 8, 2000

Hyatt Regency Macau
City Of Dreams, Estrada Do Islmo, Cotai
853 8868 1234

Ruins of the Church of St. Paul

Attraction | "St Paul Ruins"

Ruins of the Church of St. Paul Photo, Macau, China
This is probably the single most famous image of Macau. The facade of this church was left after a fire and has been standing ever since. It's at the top of a long flight of stairs, which makes this view even more dramatic. As you walk through the streets to this sight, you'll also go through a lot of old antique stores. Some of my friends in Hong Kong have bought a ton of furniture at excellent prices and have had them shipped to HK. However, I don't know how feasible the rates are to further countries. Buy some Portugese pastries (coconut tarts, sponge cakes, egg custard tarts with the tops caramelized) and sit on the steps to admire the view and people-watch.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on November 8, 2000

Ruins of the Church of St. Paul
Rua De Sao Paulo

Senado Square

Attraction | "Leal Senado Square"

Senado Square Photo, Macau, China
The swirl of the black-and-white floor mosaic is the signature of this pedestrian-only square. The centerpiece is a nice fountain and this part of the city is also a main shopping district. This used to be a mess. In fact, I didn't even know this existed until they cleaned up the square. Now, there are often markets and fairs held here. There is a government building (very colonial looking, check out my photos) across from the square although I can't recall the name. You can't miss it.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on November 8, 2000

Senado Square
Avenida De Almeida Ribiero

Hotel Lisboa Casino

Hotel Lisboa Casino Photo, Macau, China
This is another old landmark of Macau. If you have seen any photos of this city, I'll bet this funky 70's yellow and white circular building is one of them! I've actually only been inside once. When I was a kid, I was so curious to get in but could only go into the games machine section. When I got older, my fascination faded. So my one visit was somewhat anti-climatic. This is no Las Vegas! But it was worthwhile as this is a piece of Macau's history. No matter what you decide to do, you won't miss this Casino. This actually sits right outside the entrance to the older bridge to Taipa island. Take your snapshots from the taxi!

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on November 8, 2000

Hotel Lisboa Casino
Avenida de Lisboa

Getting There

Story/Tip

Though there is a brand new international airport in Macau, most people arrive in Hong Kong and take a side trip to Macau. There are jetfoils, the fastest mode of transport to Macau taking just under one hour. The pier to leave from is the Shun Tak Centre at 200 Connaught Road in Hong Kong. This is a modern, multi-story building reachable by bus, taxi and subway (MTR stop is on the other side of Connaught Road, but follow signs through the underground foot path tunnel towards the terminal.)