Key West Journals

3 Great Days in the American Caribbean -- Key West

A November 2003 trip to Key West by kinglobjaw

Quote: After arriving from Miami on an American Eagle jet, the first thing I did was go to the Holiday Inn Beachside Key West Hotel. The hotel is one of the most beautiful low-budget hotels -- the pool is enchanting!

Holiday Inn Beachside

Hotel | "Holiday Inn Beachside Key West"

Best Things Nearby:There are three shopping malls within 15 minutes of walking. There’s a bus stop three minutes away (all the lines stop there). There are two tennis courts for guests staying at this hotel only. Best Things About the Resort:The beautiful pool is very big and in a nice setting.Resort Experience:The hotel is two floors and surrounds a huge and beautiful pool! The rooms are nice as well and have very exclusive bathrooms, I had no problems whatsoever, though sometimes the key (a magnetic card) didn’t work. Unit Type: Studio Activities: Not Avail...Read More

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on May 13, 2004

Holiday Inn Beachside
3841 N ROOSEVELT BLVD
Key West, Florida 33040
305-294-2571

El Meson de Pepe on Mallory Square

Restaurant | "El Meson de Pepe"

I started with a Ceasar salad and then I ordered a steak, which was very delicious and Caribbean-style, prepared with plantains and exotic fruit. For dessert, I had cheesecake.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on May 13, 2004

El Meson de Pepe on Mallory Square
410 Wall Street
Key West, Florida 33040

I was only there for three days and there is still a lot left for next time. I recommend the following: Take the Conch Republic Tour Train, see Ernest Hemingway’s House, and visit the southernmost point of the U.S., which is 90 miles from Cuba. Dining is exquisite at any restaurant, but I recommend dining at El Meson de Pepe (see my review). Michael’s is highly expensive, but worth it – they serve great Italian food and you MUST try the Erupting Volcano Dessert! The Five Brothers store, which is located two blocks of Duval Street, has a fresh deli and great Cuban coffee. Also, try PT's for great fast food!!!