Interlaken Journals

Backpacking in Interlaken

A June 2001 trip to Interlaken by cworld26

Canyoning Photo, Interlaken, Switzerland More Photos
Quote: I backpacked through Europe and had to stop in Interlaken. Yes, we stayed at Balmers. No, it was not cultural. Yes, we had a blast.

Backpacking in Interlaken

Interlaken Photo, Interlaken, Switzerland
The village of Interlaken is picture perfect cute. It's clean, quaint, and has lots of shops and little restaurants.

Yes, you will be hanging out with all American and Canadian college-age kids. Yes, it's a ton of fun. Everyone goes to Interlaken and if you go you will know why! It's beautiful and the perfect place to take a break from schlepping around European city after city. Ahhh, the fresh air. And then you go into the bar...

Walking is best. It's a small town. You get off the train and walk yourself right to Balmer's. Follow the crowd and hope you get put in the tent with the hot adventure guides!

Balmers Herberge

Hotel | "Balmer's Herberge"

Well, you're either at the actual Balmer's Hostel or out at the "tent." We were at the tent. At first, we weren't wild about that idea, but we soon realized the tent was way more fun. It's where all the adventure guides hang out. The tents were freezing (probably because our heater broke), but the bed was pretty nice and the showers were very clean.

Plus, the lockout policy wasn't strict at the tent. The tent hosts daily happy hours. Revise that to daily happy three hours! Great times. There’s lots of drinking, but hey, if you're not up to party, don't stay here. It was fun.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on May 7, 2004

Balmers Herberge
Hauptstrasse 23 - 33 CH-3800
41(0)33 822 1961

Bebbis

Restaurant | "Bebbi's"

Bebbi's was delicious. Our waiter loved us and kept giving us freebies. They had awesome fondue and some amazing pork thing (I can't remember what it was called). It was so good. I really recommend this place for the food AND the waiter!

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on May 7, 2004

Bebbis
Brasserie 17
+41 (0)33 821 14 44

Canyoning

Canyoning Photo, Interlaken, Switzerland
Canyoning was so FUN! Basically, you are in a wetsuit and helmet, etc. and you walk through rapids, rappel off of cliffs, and slide down natural waterslides. It's such a rush! Definitely do it! I recommend it and I even got sucked into a cave after jumping off a 20-foot cliff. Apparently, I didn't jump "out far enough" -- riiiiight. Even so, it was awesome!

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on May 7, 2004