Nice Journals

French Riviera 2003

A June 2003 trip to Nice by cworld26

Shot Bar Photo, Nice, France More Photos
Quote: This was one fabulous summer of running around the French Riviera while supposedly studying the law.

French Riviera 2003

Riviera Red Carpet Photo, Nice, France
Florida Plage is our home away from home. Wacky cabana boys. Dragging ourselves to class, up the hill to the unairconditioned misery of "school". Many hangovers. Trekking to Vieux Nice in stilettos--what's a couple of kms??. Mojitos at the Cuban bar. Late nights at the "sliding door." Venturing to St. Tropez and thinking we're P Diddy or something. It was the most fun month of my life.Quick Tips: GO TO THE NICE JAZZ FESTIVAL! We saw the Roots in an amazing venue -- unforgettable. Spend every day at the beach. Hang out in Vieux Nice every night and try to forget that you're getting nailed by high drink prices. Avoid stepping in doggie poo (it's everywhere). Enjoy every minute of the fabulous C...Read More

Citadines Nice Ave Des Fleurs A

Hotel | "Citadines Fleurs"

Citadines Nice Ave Des Fleurs A Photo, Nice, France
This is an extended stay hotel, sort of apartment-like. The staff was bossy. The rooms were okay because they had kitchens. However, it was unheard of to get more than one roll of toilet paper per week. We're girls here, people. . .

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on May 5, 2004

Citadines Nice Ave Des Fleurs A
17 AVENUE DES FLEURS
33-493977800

Amazone Bar

Restaurant | "Amazone"

This was the BEST MEAL I HAVE EVER EATEN, hands down! I had agnolotti pasta in cream sauce -- heaven! Go eat this. Everyone's food was amazing, but we all shared and we decided that mine was best. They also have awesome steaks and their drinks are fab.

On a side note...this place becomes a nightclub of sorts once the evening gets going. The DJ starts spinning, and out come...um, French strippers! Rather unexpected--these girls went wild! Nothin' like having the best meal of your life and then....trashy strippers? Odd. But funny. The guys loved it of course...

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on May 6, 2004

Amazone Bar
Rue Massena

Club Milk

Attraction | "A late night in Juan les Pins - CLUB MILK"

This was the best club I went to in France. We got there late (after midnight). We went straight off the train from Nice and had to stay until 7am when the next train left to go back to Nice. We kept it up all night long and never stopped dancing. There was bottle service. Many screwdrivers. Many fabulous people. We were very wrecked by the end of the night. What a night.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on May 5, 2004

Club Milk
Avenue Gallice
Juan les Pins, France 06160
04 93 67 22 74

Florida Plage

Florida Plage Photo, Nice, France
There was soft techno music playing. Sometimes models strut around in swimsuits (or other things. . . man, the male model, hahaha!). Check it out though. It's pretty fun. We did get a discount, too.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on May 5, 2004

Florida Plage
Promenade Des Anglais

Nice Jazz Festival

Attraction | "Nice Jazz Fest"

Nice Jazz Festival Photo, Nice, France
AWESOME! It's at the end of July. There were many artists/bands. We saw the Roots -- they were amazing. It's set amongst willow trees (or something similar). It was kick ass.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on May 6, 2004

Nice Jazz Festival
Place Masséna
Nice, France 06100
+33 (0)1 47 23 07 58

Wayne's

We met Aussies, Americans, and South Africans. We loved Wayne's at first. It’s a rowdy crowd. It got old because we were there for a while and we started to go too much, so we moved next door to Master Home. Actually, we called it Hot Bar, I don’t know why. But Wayne's is fun if you're a backpacker or someone looking for a good time in Nice for a night. You'll find other party-minded folks. I know I did.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on May 6, 2004

Wayne's
15r. de la Prefecture
Nice, France 95464
+33 0 49313 4699

Master Home (Le)

Attraction | "HOT BAR, actually called Master Home"

This place is more chill than Wayne's, which is next door. You can sit outside and watch people pile into Wayne's. We got sick of Wayne's all the time and started coming here last summer.

The bouncer is a riot. The bartenders are fun and you can even check your email at the bar.

I recommend those metre-high drink dispensers. But don't fill it with Long Islands or you will be sorry and highly hung-over in the morning, trying to eat a baguette and drink Orangina as you trudge to the beach (or to class, depending on your motivation level. . .).

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on May 6, 2004

Master Home (Le)
11, rue de la Préfecture
+33 4 93 80 33 82

Shot Bar

Attraction | "The most insanely hot bar offering only shots"

Shot Bar Photo, Nice, France
Well, I decided we all should go to this "SHOT BAR" (I cannot recall the name). But the deal is that you buy meters worth of shots, not yard glasses like in Cancun. There were meter-long boxes with shots lined up all in a row. Yep, 30-some shots. You get extremely messed up for cheap.

And did I mention that this is quite possibly the hottest place I have ever been? And their bathroom was freaky. But it was a good time. My friend really enjoyed the ska band. Um, well, she was maybe just really drunk. I'm sorry I can't remember the name of this bar. Look for people passing out flyers advertising the cheapest booze in Nice. That'd be it.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on May 6, 2004

Shot Bar
Nice

Papagayo

Papagayo Photo, Nice, France
Well, I am not some high roller. But I sure thought I was when I was in St. Tropez. So we went here and bought a round of drinks. Four of us got two vodka tonics and two champagnes. It totaled 120 Euro, as in ONE HUNDRED AND TWENTY. Yeah that's right, kids. I think I was sipping gold. My buddy bought a Heineken then because he thought it'd be cheaper. Well, it was. But it was still 18 Euro. Good thing we didn't take the host up on the table offer. We decided to leave before we spent the rest of our life savings. It definitely had a cool vibe. I'd recommend ditching the dudes you're with, and you and your girls finding some sugar daddies to float you some cocktails. It'd be much more economical....Read More

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on May 6, 2004

Papagayo
Residence du Nouveau-Port, rue Gambetta
Nice, France

St. Tropez Beaches (Plages)

Attraction | "St. Tropez Beaches"

St. Tropez Beaches (Plages) Photo, Nice, France
Well. The problem here was simple. We were stupid and in St. Tropez. We see signs that say, " We kept walking and walking AND WALKING . . . It got miserable. Then it got funny. The rich were blowing by us in their Land Rovers, Mercedes, Rolls, you name it. They must have laughed at us in their dust. "Stupid American tourists, sweating their asses off, WALKING." No one walks to the beach in St. Tropez, not because it’s unfashionable not to yacht there, but BECAUSE IT’S TOO FAR AWAY!!! That and most patrons (a.k.a. celebs and other importants) just don't walk around idly anyway. Well, HOURS later, we're still walking. At one point, we're trekking through a VINEYARD. I fall off the roa...Read More

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on May 8, 2004

St. Tropez Beaches (Plages)
St-Tropez
Nice, France

You can't get away from these street tumblers. They were cool the first 50 times. Then it gets old. I mean, it's pretty cool because they do all sorts of flips and the like, but then you start to see too many tumbling troupes. They're all getting in on the racket and you can't escape 'em.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on May 8, 2004

Tumblers In Vieux Nice
Vieux Nice

Saramanga

Saramanga really was not that cool of a club. We went because it was on the walk home from the other bars down in Vieux Nice--en route back to the Citadines if you will.

It's a pretty big place. Reminded me of the types of places you see in Cancun or something, but not even remotely as busy. You know, they had the cages to dance in, the banquettes to sit at, etc. Drinks were not that good and were pricey after you had gotten your free one with the cover. Overall, I probably wouldn't be pumped about going back.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on July 14, 2004

Saramanga
45-47 Promenade des Anglais
Nice, France 06000
04 93 96 67 00

La Suite

Ah, the first time we went here we thought we were in some super secret, exclusive club in Nice that the locals we met frequented. So we thought it was super cool. It's very clubby, pricey drinks but a cool vibe. Good music. However, we later realized that this is one of the most popular clubs in Nice - we had just been going in the back door! Hilarious. Thinking we're all important and stuff! Nope, just the door we went in! Anyway - that "secret door" was in a restaurant, I think...that's why we were confused. Regardless, La Suite is pretty cool.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on September 22, 2004

La Suite
2 rue Brea
(04) 04 93 92 92 91

Ok. One of the weirdest things on the Promenade des Anglais in Nice is the "slow dancers" as we have coined them. They are these two dudes that look sort of like Milli Vanilli. Same get ups. And they do this WEIRD dance thing where they act things out and show off their flexibility and "dancer's muscles." It is train-wreck-style entertainment -- you don't want to look but you can't help yourself. It is just so bizarre. And they're so INTO IT! Please, PLEASE let me know if anyone else has seen this. I'm giggling just thinking about it. God, those slow dancers. I WISH I had a picture of them. . .

Bag of Bones

Story/Tip

Our friend Bags was the queen of the Nice public beach. Well, she had to be because she was the oldest lady, hands down. She looked like a corpse, like she hadn't eaten in years with leather skin stretched across 'dem bones, cigarette dangling out of her mouth, and yelling in French. And, of course, topless -- c'mon, it's France! Bags didn't come to the beach for a few days. We thought she was dead. Fortunately, the bags was back a few days later. I think she's immortal.