Munich Journals

A Short Break in Munich

A January 2004 trip to Munich by Sarah the Expat

Starnberger See Photo, Munich, Germany More Photos
Quote: My husband and I went to Munich to visit a family member who is studying there. We had a very tiny budget, so we didn't get to do much, but got lots of ideas for a future visit!

A Short Break in Munich

Munich is really a beautiful city. At the start of May, all sorts of flowers were in bloom, everything is clean (even the public transport!). You really ought to take a short bus tour and get an overview of the city and its history--then decide which things you want to go back to and explore more in depth. It can be quite a touristy place, and somewhat expensive compared to the rest of Germany. The best way to describe it is "quaint, peaceful, and relaxing," or as my husband described it, "so quaint you want to barf."Quick Tips: Your hotel will likely have brochures detailing different tours and day trips--pick some of these up and have a look. However, the best places to get information...Read More

Ibis Muenchen Nord

Hotel | "Hotel Ibis München Nord"

While this hotel appears to mainly cater to business travellers, it is well located and ideally priced for tourists. All of the staff wear badges indicating what languages they speak, so getting everything you need is not a problem, even if you speak absolutely no German. Reservations are available on the internet at www.ibishotel.com, and the prices are lower on weekends than during the week, making this perfect for an extended weekend. Our double room was very clean and modern, somewhat plain, but nice enough. The bathroom had a power shower but no bathtub. For an extra 9 Euros per person, you can have the buffet breakfast, which has a variety of cold meats and cheeses, roll...Read More

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on May 5, 2004

Ibis Muenchen Nord
UNGERERSTRASSE 139
49-49-360830

Tapas

While the name "Tapas" would make you think this is Spanish, the menu is more Mexican than anything. The decor isn't quite as cheesy as an American Chi Chi's, but you can tell that authentic Mexican food/atmosphere isn't something you get very often in Germany! The menu descriptions were in German, but the names of many of the dishes were in Spanish, and would be familiar if you've eaten a lot of Mexican food. The big plate of nachos was satisfying enough, certainly better than I've gotten in London. My husband's fajitas left something to be desired, as the tortillas were small and not plentiful. The guacamole was pretty weak as well. Overall though, we had a nice cheap dinner, even if random pe...Read More

Tapas
Amalienstr. 97
Munich, Germany 80799
39 09 19

Viktualienmarkt

Viktualienmarkt Photo, Munich, Germany
This market is lovely to wander through, it makes you wish you were a German hausfrau! There are quite a few inexpensive little places to get a bite to eat and a beer, which was our whole reason for going. For tourists, I wouldn't say there's a whole lot you're going to buy here, but it's worth going have having a look around, if only to be envious of the variety of sausages!

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on May 5, 2004

Viktualienmarkt
Center of Munich
Munich, Germany 80331

This one-hour tour takes you around some of the major sights/areas of Munich. While it's not as comprehensive as some of the other tours that are available, it is a nice overview of the city's landmarks, major areas, and history. The information is all recorded and available in eight languages. As it is an open-air double-decker bus, try to pick a nice, sunny day for this one. Tours are on the hour from 10am, last one at 5pm. On the weekend, they run every half hour between those times as well.

City Sightseeing - Yellow Cab
Elisenstrasse 3a, 80335 Munich

Schloss Nymphenburg

Schloss Nymphenburg Photo, Munich, Germany
A short ride on the number 17 tram from central Munich will take you almost right to Nymphenburg Palace, formerly a summer residence of Bavarian kings. We mainly wandered around the extensive gardens and watched the swans. It was free and a nice way to spend the afternoon.

Schloss Nymphenburg
Schlossrondell
Munich, Germany 80638
+49 89 179080

Starnberger See

Starnberger See Photo, Munich, Germany
"See" is "Lake" and this lake is gorgeous! You can easily get there on public transport--from central Munich take the S-Bahn (suburban rail) number 6 towards Tutzing to Starnberg. The ride takes about 20 minutes. As soon as you're off the train, you see this picturesque lake.

There are boat rides available -- I remember thinking the prices were quite reasonable, but unfortunately we didn't go! There are lots of little shops along the edge, which makes you want to walk around then entire lake. Also, there are gardens with gorgeous flowers, and lots of swans, ducks, and geese. It makes for a lovely, romantic afternoon!

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on May 5, 2004

Starnberger See
Starnberg
Munich, Germany 82319

Glockenspiel

Glockenspiel Photo, Munich, Germany
At 11am, 12pm, and 5pm, you can watch the wooden figures dance around on the New Town Hall. My husband's reaction was "Is that it?" It's one of those things you really should see in Munich, but you'll feel as though you could have easily gone without once it's over. More amusing is watching the other tourists gather, and then seeing all the necks craned and cameras pointed in unison.

Marienplatz is a nice place to spend time anyway--plenty of shops, restaurants, architecture to look at--so you may as well plan to be there while the music's going!

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on May 5, 2004

Glockenspiel
New Town Hall
Munich, Germany

As the purpose of our 3-day trip was mainly to visit family and we were working on an extremely limited budget, we missed quite a few things that we'll have to go back and do: 1. Biergartens. I cannot believe I was in Germany, homeland of my ancestors, and I forgot to have any beer! My family back in Wisconsin will disown me. 2. Neuschwanstein Castle. The day trip from Munich is around 8.5 hours and costs about 30 Euros. The castle is known for being the inspiration for the Disney castle, but I just love castles anyway. 3. Dachau Memorial Site. Another day trip, about 4.5 hours and 19 Euros. For the short time we had there, my husband objected to being d...Read More