Memphis Journals

Extra Long Weekend in Memphis

Best of IgoUgo

An October 2000 trip to Memphis by ms_dj

Rum Boogie Cafe Photo, Memphis, Tennessee More Photos
Quote: A weekend conference in Memphis wasn't the only thing happening!! We visited Graceland, and spent four nights sampling the food and music of Beale Street.

Extra Long Weekend in Memphis

Besides Graceland, and Beale Street, a visit to Memphis, TN, could also include the Duck March at the Peabody Hotel, a trip to the zoo, or a visit to Mud Island.

Depending on where you're staying, walking is an option for getting to the main drag, Beale Street. Public transit (buses and the Main Street Trolley) are inexpensive, but may not be the most direct mode of transport. If you're headed for Graceland, on Elvis Presley Boulevard, there's a free shuttle bus from Elvis Presley's Memphis, on Beale Street.

Marriott Memphis Downtown

Hotel | "Memphis Marriott Downtown"

My room was on the 8th floor, with a fabulous view of the parking lot and the freeway, and, because I was at the end of the hallway, I also had a great view of the roof of the walkway to the convention center across the street. Standing on my tip-toes, I could see a small part of the Mississippi River.

The bed, king size, was very comfortable, with a good view of the TV, not that I watched much TV. Housekeeping was very good about replacing any pen, shampoo, or soap that disappeared, even if it was just moved to another part of the room.

Food at the neighbouring convention center, where we ate, was catered by the hotel, and was excellent.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on November 5, 2000

Marriott Memphis Downtown
250 N MAIN ST
901-527-7300

Rendezvous

Restaurant | "The Rendezvous"

We had a long wait ... but it was worth it! (We couldn't make reservations.)

The food to eat here is ribs. They are dry ribs, heavily seasoned (lots of paprika, plus more!) with the barbecue sauce on the side. Ribs came with 'slaw, dinner rolls, and beans, and were the best any of us had ever tasted.

They even deliver ribs via Federal Express...within the United States. (Reminded us of a certain M*A*S*H episode...!) Call 1-888-HOGS-FLY for more information.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on November 6, 2000

Rendezvous
Behind 52 South Second Street (downstairs) Charlie Vergos' Rendezvous Alley

Alfred's on Beale

Restaurant | "Alfred's"

Alfred's on Beale Photo, Memphis, Tennessee
Alfred's was our first experience with dining in Memphis. They have two patios, one up on the roof, and one under the roof. Enjoying the unseasonably warm temperatures, we decided to eat on the roof. This was my first experience with fried green tomatoes, which one of my companions ordered, and I sampled. That night, I ate the Beale St Chicken sandwich, which was quite tasty. The next day, for lunch, I ate the green tomatoes, and sampled the gumbo, which seemed more like a stew than a soup (as my friends had expected it to be when they ordered it.) At night, there is live entertainment, or a DJ, and the night we were there was no exception. We enjoyed the acoustic so...Read More

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on November 6, 2000

Alfred's on Beale
197 Beale St
+1 901 525 3711

Graceland

Graceland Photo, Memphis, Tennessee
Graceland isn't nearly as tacky as I thought it would be, nor is it as large as I expected from the house where Elvis lived (and died). Yes, it has its tacky parts, like the Jungle Room (picture olive-green shag carpeting...got it?...now, picture it covering the floor, ceiling & walls!).

No, you don't get to see where he died, but the last thing on the tour is the grave sites, complete with wreaths from Elvis fan clubs around the world. The platinum tour gets you in to the planes, and the car museum, but we just did the tour of the house. That was quite enough, thankyouverymuch.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on November 9, 2000

Graceland
3734 Elvis Presley Blvd.
Memphis, Tennessee 38116

Rum Boogie Cafe

Rum Boogie Cafe Photo, Memphis, Tennessee
We actually went to the Rum Boogie a few times, but I think the most fun we had was on the Sunday evening, our last night in Memphis. We went there for dinner, sampling variations on chicken (Funky Chicken Sandwich, BBQ Chicken Dinner or Rum Boogie Chicken Dinner). They had a 2 for 1 special that night, which was one reason we chose to eat there. The music started around 9:00 pm, with one man (Blind Mississippi Morris) and his harmonicas. He had a half-dozen or so in a carrying pouch slung over his shoulder. He was eventually joined by a guitar player, and then bass player & drummer. Even if you didn't like the blues, you couldn't help but enjoy the performanc...Read More

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on November 6, 2000

Rum Boogie Cafe
182 Beale St
+1 901 528 0150

Peabody Hotel

Attraction | "Ducks at the Peabody Hotel"

We found out about the ducks at the Peabody Hotel purely by accident. We'd gone in, looking for information on getting to Graceland, and saw crowds of people with cameras in the lobby. A bellman was rolling out a red carpet, so we thought people were there to see a celebrity. Hah!

We asked the crowd who we were waiting to see, only to find out that we were waiting for ducks.

Every morning at 11:00 a.m., half a dozen mallard ducks (one male, the rest females), come down in the elevator, and waddle along the red carpet into the lobby's fountain.

Every evening at 5:00 p.m., they go back to the elevator. You gotta see it to believe it!

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on November 7, 2000