New Orleans Journals

Second Visit to New Orleans

An April 2004 trip to New Orleans by Bobseesit

Quote: Our second visit to New Orleans was not quite as positive as the first exactly one year ago, due to a few negatives, but it's still one of our favorite places.

Second Visit to New Orleans

Restaurants are still our favorite destinations and while we hit some great ones, there were still a couple of disappointments.

If you have a car, consider parking at Harrah's if convenient and if you gamble. After 30 minutes of gambling, parking is free.

We planned on using the streetcar system more this visit, and were greatly disappointed and inconvenienced, probably because they were doing a lot of training and preparation for the opening of the Canal Street line that we just missed.
The rooms were comfortable and clean. Housekeeping was sloppy and intrusive. Other than a congenial and helpful bell captain, the other staff was no help at all.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on April 30, 2004

Embassy Suites New Orleans - Convention Center
315 JULIA ST
504 525-1993

Muriel's Jackson Square

Restaurant | "Muriel's"

This was a pleasant surprise for a last minute decision for the evening of our arrival in New Orleans. It offered a pleasant atmosphere and excellent service.

I enjoyed the best shrimp remoulade appetiser on fried green tomatoes. My wife had tourenados of beef and I had drumfish with a pecan crust -- both very good.

Muriel's Jackson Square
801 Chartres Street
New Orleans, Louisiana 70116
504-568-1885

House of Blues New Orleans

Restaurant | "House of Blues"

The Gospel Brunch on Easter Sunday morning was better than a year ago, which we thoroughly enjoyed also. The brunch food was very good and the entertainment outstanding. The service was very good. Mimosas, coffee, and orange juice were included in the buffet.

House of Blues New Orleans
225 Decatur Street

Irene's Cuisine

Restaurant | "Irene's"

What a disappointment. I'm coming to the conclusion that the only food that NO does not do well is Italian. We were a little disappointed last year with Cafe Giovanni and now with Irene's. This was one restaurant I was looking forward to, even with no reservation policy. We got there at opening (5:30pm) and were seated immediately. The complimentary bruschetta was very good, but it went downhill from there. I don't even remember the appetiser. My wife had shrimp scampi over linguini and I had chicken parmesan (I thought I was ordering something else). Both were very ordinary and we have had much better in the smallest Italian restaurants in Massachusetts. The service was very go...Read More

Member Rating 1 out of 5 on April 30, 2004

Irene's Cuisine
539 St. Phillip St
New Orleans, Louisiana 70116
+1 504 523 4021

Pelican Restaurant & Bar

Restaurant | "Pelican Club"

This place had wonderful atmosphere and service. My wife had filet mignon and I had a veal chop topped with crab. Both were very good. The white chocolate bread pudding was outstanding.

Pelican Restaurant & Bar
615 Bienville Street
+1 504 523 1504

Mother's

Breakfast is very ordinary, but don't miss the black ham on a biscuit--wow. Go on a weekday for smaller crowds, but you'll still have to stand in line. Efficient, impersonal service, but it works.

Mother's
401 Poydras St.

Brigtsen's Restaurant

Restaurant | "Brigtsen's"

We arrived for the early bird special, but I decided to order from regular menu. I was disappointed at first with the shrimp remoulade appetiser, which was dry and used poor quality shrimp. The entrees made up for it though. My wife had steak as usual, with nice touches such as blue cheese things (which I ate) and I had blackened tuna with a corn cream sauce, which was wonderful.

Brigtsen's Restaurant
723 Dante St
New Orleans, Louisiana 70118
+1 504 861 7610

Emeril's Delmonico New Orleans

Restaurant | "Emeril's Delmonico"

An outstanding restaurant, better than the original Emeril's which we visited last year and enjoyed immensely. We ate in the rear, garden type room, which was obviously an add-on when Emeril remodelled this older restaurant because you have to go through the kitchen to reach it. The front of the restaurant is very intimate and plush while this rear room is beautiful with its own personality. The barbecued shrimp appetiser was very good. My wife had an excellent filet mignon (as usual), while I had to break my pattern with a strip sirloin, the most expensive item on the menu. I had read that Delmonico had the best strip sirloin in NO and that is no lie. It was a magnificent piece of meat, ...Read More

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on April 30, 2004

Emeril's Delmonico New Orleans
1300 St. Charles Ave
+1 504 525 4937

B & C Cajun Deli

Restaurant | "B & C Cajun Deli"

We dropped into this very casual place after visiting Laura Plantation. I had the freshest fried catfish in the sandwich I have tasted. My wife had a nice salad with grilled Cajun chicken. We especially loved the bread pudding.

B & C Cajun Deli
2155 Route 18
New Orleans, Louisiana
225-265-8356

Laura Plantation

This is an old, slightly crumbling plantation quite unlike some of the more glamorous Southern plantations we have seen. The tour lead by a descendent of a former slave was well done.

Laura Plantation
2247 Highway 18
New Orleans, Louisiana 70090

Last year, we did not use the streetcar system as much as we could have and resolved to use them more this year to save our aging legs. What a disappointment and aggravating experience!

The streetcars ran late constantly and were sometimes full passing us by after waiting a half hour or more. We nearly missed our reservation for Emeril's Delmonico after two cars passed us by and we ended up taking a cab. They were obviously training new drivers for the opening of the new Canal Street line, which happened just after we left. This should be a good ride if it is running properly.