Independence Journals

Independence, MO:

A travel journal to Independence by Vester

Quote: This is a brief overview of the town of Independence, MO. The former home of President Harry Truman is not its only interesting feature!

Independence, MO:

Definitely see the Truman House and the Truman Museum. They are great pieces of our culture and history, and its done in a very entertaining way!

Make sure to spend a whole day here! With the tours and antiquing, you will definitely spend some time here. . . maybe make a night of it and stay in a cute bed and breakfast!!

Driving to get here, but walking around the square!

Truman Home Tour Information

Attraction | "Truman Home"

This is an excellent thing to do (among many other "Truman activities") in Independence, MO. It’s extremely informative and the house tour is actually very interesting! You'll learn all sorts of facts about Truman and it’s extremely interesting, especially great for kids!!!

You can find information about the Truman Home and other Truman tours including the Truman Museum, Library, and Historic Site at The Truman Home.

Truman Home Tour Information
219 N Main Street
Independence, Missouri 64050

Antique Shopping

Attraction | "Antique Shopping in Independence!"

Independence is a GREAT town for antique shopping! There are dozens of antique shops located throughout Independence. For more information, call (816) 325-7111.

On the Independence Square, the heart of old town Independence, you will find shops and stores that are charming and quaint!!!

A WONDERFUL website that lists all the stores, as well as restaurants and coupons can be found here: INDEPENDENCE SQUARE

Spending a day in Independence, MO is a relaxing, fun, and (if you go visit Truman's home) even educational!

Antique Shopping
Throughout Independence
Independence, Missouri

Truman Presidential Museum and Library

As you go through Independence MO make SURE that you go to this museum and library. It’s especially great for kids, as I'll get to in a minute. You might want to check out the website at TRUMAN MUSEUM AND LIBRARY because there is a ton of information there! There is great information there that includes research and information that you can look up before you go!!! There is even a kid’s section! Now, I know that most kids won’t find many museums and libraries fun, but not here! The new permanent exhibit, "Harry S. Truman: His Life and Times," has four interactive "discovery area" activities for children including sorting mail in honor of Trum...Read More

Truman Presidential Museum and Library
500 W Us Highway 24
Independence, Missouri 64050

Wagon Rides

I have heard that this is very fun, and have seen them, although I have never taken a ride myself. However, since I did focus most of the town on things that included kids, I thought I would include this as well!

On the Independence Square, you can take a ride with Pioneer Trails Adventures Wrangler by horse-drawn carriage, covered wagon, or in Santa's sleigh during the holidays, and from what I have heard, the guide (or santa!) entertains you with stories of tales of yesteryear!

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on April 13, 2004

Wagon Rides
Independence Square
Independence, Missouri

I remember going here as a kid with my family! My dad loved riding the go-carts with me! It was a great time! The miniature golf is BY FAR THE BEST I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE! Four different courses that are absolutely adorable. I know you are thinking - miniature golf is miniature golf - but no! This place is great! There is a pizza place, a batting cage and an arcade attached as well.

I include this place, because while it isn't on the Independence Square, and although it is a few miles from there, it is totally worth the few miles of a drive to get there to see this place!!!

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on April 13, 2004