Nashville Journals

My Pilgrimage to See J.R. Cash

A March 2004 trip to Nashville by Cliford George.

Quote: This was a retirement present to myself arranged before the death of Johnny Cash to visit Music City and hear my beloved bluegrass played live. He died whilst we were waiting to go, so this gave me an opportunity to say my own goodbye to a legend.

My Pilgrimage to See J.R. Cash

You must visit the Grand Ole Opry to see a live show. Visit the honky-tonk bars on "Broadway" where many budding artists perform. See the Country Hall of Fame and the many museums in downtown Nashville. Go out into the countryside and see life as it was in the Civil War. The road system is currently being updated and consists of many four-, six- or eight-lane highways. The airport is modern and visitor-friendly, making it quick and easy to negotiate. All the locals are willing to assist you and our Gold Star resort at Fairfield lived up to its reputation. The two-bedroom apartment had a king size bed, whirlpool bath, and huge shower in one half, and two double beds and a s...Read More
Best Things Nearby:Opry hotels and the Opry Mills Shopping Centre. The start of the Music Valley drive with the Willie Nelson Museum and souvenir shop. The wax museum.Best Things About the Resort:Beautiful apartment, swimming pool (indoor and outdoor), gym, sauna, and on-site entertainment. After a short meeting with the sales staff, we were not hassled anymore to buy at Fairfield.Resort Experience:This place has a very relaxed atmosphere. All the staff is helpful and knowledgeable about the area. Tootsies Tours pick up there every day and all the drivers are accomplished guides and very entertaining. The apartments are superb, beautifully furnished and...Read More

Fairfield Nashville
2415 McGavock Pike
Nashville, Tennessee 37214

Cock of the Walk

Pleasant staff serve catfish, chicken, or shrimp. If you can't make your mind up, ask for the sampler. Ask for a jug of beer (with tin cups) and don't forget to order pickles, hushpuppies, and coleslaw with skillet bread. Yehaaa.

Cock of the Walk
2624 Music Valley Dr
Nashville, Tennessee 37214
615/889-1930

Nashville Zoo at Grassmere

Attraction | "Nashville Zoo"

The locals go to see it, so it can't be bad. Grey Line Tours have an excursion here. Well worth a visit.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on April 7, 2004

Nashville Zoo at Grassmere
3777 Nolensville Rd.
Nashville, Tennessee 37211

Honky Tonk Row

Attraction | "Honkey Tonk Row on Broadway"

This is heaven for country music fans. My own delight is bluegrass, so my visit to the Gibson workshops was brilliant. But the highlight of my week was to stand by J R Cash's gravestone and be able to video the sight to bring home with me. Back on Honkeytonk Row, a lover of the music cannot fail to be moved by the songs coming through the doors or the beer being served inside! This will be a memory I treasure until the next time.

Honky Tonk Row
Lower Broadway
Nashville

For our tour guide, we were fortunate to get the owner, Tommy, for most tours. He knew all the celebrities personally. The headquarters are at the renowned Tootsie’s Bar where all budding songwriters hang out. He changed the tour to suit the road conditions but still covered all the sights. Don't miss his Mystery Tour, which should take 3 hours, but usually takes 4 or 5! Here he takes you into old Tennessee and gives you a commentary about the history of the state.

Tootsie Celebrity Van Tours
Picks up at hotels across city
Nashville, Tennessee