Kuala Lumpur Journals

Must see stopover-Kuala Lumpur

A February 2000 trip to Kuala Lumpur by traveling mama

Quote: We were really suprized at how much we loved our stopover of two nights in Kuala Lumpur. It was suggested on a recent trip with Malaysia Air and "wow" what a pleasure.

Must see stopover-Kuala Lumpur

Myself and my son (toddler) and husband saw a lot of the highlights around and inside Kuala Lumpur with the help of a taxi guided tour. For only we were able to viist a Butterfly farm, historical house, the central market, Chinatown temple, Batu Caves. Go to The Park Hotel for a referral on a tour guide.

Take along a car seat for an infant/toddler. Bring sunscreen and be ready to walk a lot at Batu caves. It is fabulous to see. Plan to be busy if you have limited time in this city because there is so much to see.

Taxi driver who speaks some english and is able to serve as a tour guide, too.

Hotel Maya

Hotel | "Park Plaza International"

The hotel is full service with shopping near and a great brunch included in the cost of the room. The bathroom was marble and way cool. The cost for the room is really low if you fly with Malaysian Air and get a stopover package. The hotel even picks you up at the airport. Pool, Gym, ballroom and other amenities are included, too.

Hotel Maya
138 Jalan Ampang
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia 50450
+60 3 2711 8866

Annalakshmi

Restaurant | "annalakshmi resteraunt"

We were told that this is the city's best India restaurant. It is vegetarian, too, with great Indian food. I really enjoyed it.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on November 8, 2000

Annalakshmi
G(E)-017 Mid Valley Megamall
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia 59200
+60 3 2284 3799

Brickfields/Little India

Attraction | "little India"

You will find any kind of Indian import you desire, from food to jewelry to make-up to colorful saris. I bought the most beautiful cloth. Just hop into a cab and ask to be taken to Little India. It's a really unique experience to see this Indian subculture in Malaysia!! Must see it. We ate on the street and did not get sick!!!

Brickfields/Little India
South of City Center
Deepavali, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia 50100

Batu Caves

It is crowded and a little dirty, but really cool. It is the most fascinating cave you will ever see. The Hindu art/temples are beautiful to see and the monkeys are great, if you have kids along they will love it. The shopping is full of inscense, art trinkets, icons and more. The caves are of interest to geologist and regular folks like my family.

Batu Caves
Batu Caves Sri Subramaniam Temple Selayang
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia 68100
+60 3 6089 6284

We visited a traditional house while in Kuala Lumpur. It was okay, but I would not spend the time on this attraction if I had it to go again. My advice: skip the traditional wooden house. Spend more time just walking around the city, to markets and in chinatown.