Pisa Journals

The Leaning Pisa

Best of IgoUgo

A September 2000 trip to Pisa by travel2000

Pisa at night Photo, Pisa, Italy More Photos
Quote: The Leaning Tower, find me someone who doesn't know the image. But Pisa is more than that. I spent a few hours in town, enroute to Lucca from Firenze, but I left with a lot more respect for Pisa.

The Leaning Pisa

Pisa at night Photo, Pisa, Italy
Obviously the Tower, but more so, the Duomo...yes, it was impressive, almost as breathtaking as the Duomo in Siena. Definitely worth your trip.

Best way is to get there by train. There are many tourists, but the grounds are wide and there is plenty of space for your own photograph holding up the leaning tower!

From the train station, it's a 25 minute walk to the Tower. At least you get to see the town, which is not very pretty but definitely with lots of stores and action.

Leaning Tower of Pisa

Despite all the cables and lead holding it down, the tower is still impressively leaning way on towards it's side. The first time I saw the tower was actually a year ago, when some friends drove me there late at night. The entire piazza was brightly lit, like a movie set. From the fence, I could see the glorious tower, leaning over much more than I had imagined. So to see it in daylight, amongst the tourist crowd was something of a anticlimax. But still, I took my rolls of film and was amazed how it has not fallen yet. Do read the sign boards describing what is being done to keep it up. Too bad I was not the lucky ones to have been able to go up the Tower years ago. That would've been a true vertigo.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on November 2, 2000

Leaning Tower of Pisa
Campo del Miracoli

Duomo Santa Maria Assunta

Attraction | "Duomo"

This is definitely a DON'T MISS. I was told how beautiful this Duomo was, even compared to the one in Siena. I completely agree. There is the horizontal black and white motif, much like Moorish architecture. Look at the carvings on the doors and the carved pulpit. My friends interpreted most of the scenes for me, biblical scenes. There is so much to see inside, prepare to spend at least half an hour there. Tickets are purchased at the side, behind the tower in a little office.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on November 2, 2000

Duomo Santa Maria Assunta
Campo dei Miracoli

Battistero (Baptistery)

Attraction | "Baptistery"

This is right across from the Duomo, you'll see it when you exit the cathedral. Inside, there is a famous pulpit with wonderful carving. This is all gothic in it's glory. However, after spending time inside the Duomo, it was definitely not up to par in terms of expectations.

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on November 2, 2000

Battistero (Baptistery)
Campo dei Miracoli

Cemetery

This is a cemetery behind the walls bordering the Pisa Tower. You have to pay admission to get in to see the frescoes, some definitely on the macabre side. (Think Death...) I didn't think it was worth the money at all. If your guidebook suggests it, just skip it and spend your money on a gelato instead.

Member Rating 1 out of 5 on November 2, 2000

Cemetery
Camposanto

Excursions

Story/Tip

I only spent two hours in Pisa, one of which was spent walking to and from the train station. I then went on to see Lucca. I definitely recommend this route, as the two towns are on the same path to and from Firenze. I left Pisa on the 1pm train and got to Lucca in about 40 minutes. There is alot more to see in Lucca. Or you could do a quickie trip in the morning and go back to Firenze for another delightful afternoon. Just a suggestion!