Lake Tahoe Journals

Lake Tahoe (heaven on Earth)

A September 1999 trip to Lake Tahoe by Travel Queen

Quote: Lake Tahoe is a short drive from either Reno, NV or Sacramento California and it's like being on another planet. Too beautiful to describe, like Yosemite. It's absolutely breathtaking in all seasons!

Lake Tahoe (heaven on Earth)

Skiing at Homewood Resort...taking the Tahoe Queen or MS Dixie out on the Lake, or staying at the Sunnyside resort in Homewood. Eating at Lakehouse Pizza in Tahoe City.

If you like the hustle bustle, stay at South Lake Tahoe. If you like the quiet, get away from it all, North Shore is for you. Take at least 3 days for the Lake Tahoe Experience.

A car is pretty necessary here. But for you bicycle lovers, I understand you can go around the entire lake on your bike. They've got great bike trails in most places.

Chart House

My husband proposed to me here. What a romantic place this is. It has an outstanding view of the lake. It's up on a hill. The food is wonderful. I believe we had steaks. I remember delicious salad and wonderful melt in your mouth bread. The service was great and the food was delicious. It has floor to ceiling windows on the lake side of the restaurant.

Chart House
392 Kingsbury Grade
Lake Tahoe, California 89449

Lakehouse Pizza

Lakehouse Pizza is casual and has really good pizza made to order. I remember a lot of interesting choices. It's quite the hangout in the summer. It has a nice deck where you can enjoy the lake while you eat. It's an institution in the Tahoe City area.

Lakehouse Pizza
120 Grove Street (On the lake)
Tahoe City, California 96145

Homewood Mountain Resort

Attraction | "Homewood Ski Resort"

If you're a skier, you MUST SKI HOMEWOOD. No it's not the best resort, challenge wise. In fact it's small. But it has such character. And what's best is THE VIEW FROM HALF WAY UP THE HILL. When you're skiing down from the top..at that certain point, you see the hill and then..ooooh, nothing but Lake Tahoe. It looks as if you'll land right in the lake if you continue down that run. But no.. you'll be safe..it's just the best view I've ever seen. And yes I have skied at several other Lake Tahoe resorts..including Squaw, Northstar and Alpine Meadows.. I like Homewood for family skiing. it's small enough to feel comfortable and they have 1/2 day lessons for kids. Plus the prices are really rea...Read More

Homewood Mountain Resort
5145 West Lake Blvd
Homewood, California 96141
+1 530 525 2992

Vikingsholm

Story/Tip

When I was a kid, my family hiked from Emerald Bay into this historical landmark home of the Vikings. This was very memorable and fun. I think it's like a mile from the road. I'm sure there's information on it. Emerald Bay is breathtaking. It's so deep green and beautiful. This is something you will want to do for sure if you have the time.