Oahu Journals

Imperial Heaven!

A March 2002 trip to Oahu by Gypsy3

Quote: Hawaii is the place to be ANY time of year!

The Imperial Waikiki

Hotel | "Imperial of Waikiki"

Our two-bedroom, two-balcony condo was in the older part of the building, but clean, well appointed, and close to everything! Just steps to Waikiki beach in one direction, and to the strip in the other. There is a beautiful view of the ocean from one of the balconies and with mum-in-law along, the second bathroom came in very handy. It was a great place to celebrate two special birthdays.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on March 28, 2004

The Imperial Waikiki
205 Lewers Street
Honolulu, Hawaii 96815

Snorkeling in Hanauma Bay

Attraction | "Hanauma Bay"

I've done lots of snorkeling and diving, and this is one of my favourite places in the world. You can see the aqua water and the reef from the road, which is a good ways above the water. Leave your car at the top and take the walk down. Enjoy the natural scent and glorious colour of the water. It's fairly shallow within the reef, and lots of people are there every day, but it doesn't seem crowded. Get there early in the day and plan to spend some time. Buy a fish chart and mark off the ones you see. You'll be surprised at how many there are! There are lots of little kids there with their parents. The water is calm and relatively danger-free. Divers will want to go beyond the reef. Many scuba classes d...Read More

Snorkeling in Hanauma Bay

Oahu, Hawaii

I LOVE this place -- especially at night! There are stand after stand of local merchants selling their goods -- and, at times, you CAN bargain! My favourite coral necklaces come from here: long, uneven strands of red, white, and pink coral that you won't find as cheap or as nice anywhere else. Don't bother with the more upscale jewelry stores on the main street or in the malls. This is a great place for people watching, too!

International Market Place
2330 Kalakaua Avenue
Honolulu, Hawaii 96815
(808) 971-2080

Hilo Hattie Nimitz Flagship Store

Attraction | "Hilo Hattie's"

If you love Hawaiian print shirts, skirts, muumuus, etc., this is a must stop! It's one of the first places I go when I'm in Oahu. I buy presents for everyone I've left behind: T-shirts, cotton button-down shirts, bathing suit sarongs, children's clothing, kukui nut necklaces, and all sorts of other goodies. On our last visit, my husband and I spent enough to get three free mugs and even they are beautiful! They have more prints and styles and sizes here than you'll find anywhere else. Don't leave without a visit to Hilo Hattie's!

Hilo Hattie Nimitz Flagship Store
700 Nimitz Highway
Honolulu, Hawaii 96817

A very comfortable bus with large, clean windows took us around the island, allowing us to stop at places and see things we would never have known to look for. The scenery changes and is gorgeous all around the island. Some favourite stops include the beach where From Here to Eternity was filmed (it's tiny!), a Buddhist monastery where we were allowed to hit the gong, a garden park filled with the most amazing flowers and koi, and cliff divers! An excellent lunch is included. No need to rent a car!

Full-day Island Tour
Check with your hotel tour desk
Oahu, Hawaii

Star of Honolulu Dinner Cruise

Attraction | "The Star of Honolulu"

This is billed as a tour on which you have a good chance to see some whales. We didn't see any, but it was still nice to be on the water and see things from there. There's live entertainment and lunch is served. They even offer natural ginger pills to those of us who are prone to seasickness and they really work! We enjoyed it, but didn't love it.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on March 28, 2004

Star of Honolulu Dinner Cruise
Honolulu Harbor, Pier 8
Honolulu, Hawaii 96826
+1 808 983 7827; +1

Pearl Harbor and USS Arizona Memorial

Attraction | "USS Arizona Memorial"

A definite must see. It's a bit eerie, standing on the platform above the sunken ship that still contains the bodies of the men who died during that terrible episode. It's very quiet as people pay their respects, often laying flowers and leis at the foot of the memorial plaques. You're given a number and then wait until it's called; then you take a boat over to the platform. Be prepared to wait a while, but there's lots of interesting stuff to look at and read while you're waiting. Be prepared to leave purse and camera case in the car or back at the hotel. They weren't allowed in last time I was there. This is a place I've been to three times already and will go back to every time I visit Oahu. It's a...Read More

Pearl Harbor and USS Arizona Memorial