Mazatlan Journals

First Stay at Emerald Bay

A January 2003 trip to Mazatlan by katyjill

Quote: Our first visit to Emerald Bay was a week in paradise!

First Stay at Emerald Bay

We enjoyed our tour to Copala, our trip to the downtown market, and the beautiful sunsets.

Emerald Bay offers an hourly shuttle (free) to the Golden Zone if you want a change of scenery. From there you have many restaurants and shops within walking distance, or take a bus or taxi if you want to take it easy on your feet!
This is the most beautiful resort I've ever scene. The public buildings are elegant in every respect and the pool area goes on forever! You have miles of quiet beach to enjoy, and I didn't see one beach vendor my entire week there!

The security is excellent. We found this out when our room key wouldn't work; a staff member appeared at our door before we had time to head for the front desk! The suite contained everything we needed, including a glorious view of the sunsets.

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on March 28, 2004

Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay
Av. Ernesto Coppel Campana 201
Mazatlan, Mexico 82110
+52 (669) 989-0525

Shrimp Factory

We stopped here for lunch one day. I wasn't really hungry, but my husband talked me into sharing a half-kilo of peel-and-eat shrimp with him. The shrimp were excellent --- the best I've had in Mazatlan and I've eaten lots of shrimp in Mazatlan! Rice was also included with the meal, and three types of dipping sauces were served: cocktail sauce, garlic butter, and some kind of red Mexican sauce. They were all very good. We also had guacamole and chips with our meal, which I would rate pretty good.

This is an open-air restaurant, so you may want to have a jacket on a cool evening. This is one restaurant we will continue to visit on our return trips to Mazatlan.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on March 30, 2004

Shrimp Factory

The Place

This is a great place for breakfast. The food is excellent. They serve a wonderful strawberry jam with their toast. It tasted like it was homemade. They offer traditional American fare as well as Mexican options. As with many of the restaurants in Mazatlan, you have the choice of eating indoors or out. The service is fast here, so if you want to grab a quick bite in the morning for a low price, this is the place.

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on March 30, 2004

The Place
Avenida Camaron Sabalo 70000

Los Arcos

We have eaten here at least 10 times over the past four years and have never been disappointed in our meal. Los Arcos is a Mexican chain restaurant and although it is located in the Golden Zone, their clientele seems to be half local folks. What better recommendation can you have than that? The garlic shrimp is great, as well as the many fish dishes they offer. Often the menu does not specify what type of fish is used for a particular dish -- apparently they use the catch of the day -- but it's always great. The meal is usually served with mixed vegetables prepared tender crisp with a buttery flavor. We always save room for dessert. The chocolate cake is absolutely wonderful and you can have it...Read More

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on March 30, 2004

Los Arcos
Avenue Camaron Sabalo

Angelo's

Angelo's is located at Pueblo Bonito Resort. We have eaten here several times and have enjoyed each meal from beginning to end. The setting is very elegant and romantic. The last time we visited, they had a singer with an absolutely wonderful voice. I usually don't care for dinner music because I feel it often interferes with conversation, but I enjoyed every minute of entertainment from this fantastic tenor! The servings seem to vary somewhat in size. Although my husband and I both ordered pasta dishes, mine was a much larger portion. There was enough to bring back to our room and feed both of us for lunch the next day. We had chocolate cake for dessert, which was more cheesecake than ...Read More

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on March 30, 2004

Angelo's
Av. Cameron Sabalo Nte. S/N Fracc
Mazatlan, Mexico

The Central Market -- A Taste of Mexico!

Story/Tip

Each year when we spend our week in Mazatlan the first thing we do is hop on a bus to the market in the central downtown area. What a colorful place! You will find bakeries, cheese makers, vegetable and fruit stands, and a meat market as well as leather goods and tourist trinkets. The sales clerks can be very aggressive in the T-shirt section, but it's all in good fun. Many of the vendors do not speak English, but we manage to communicate just fine. Our favorite items to buy are produce. Everything is so fresh and it smells wonderful. We will usually buy pineapple, strawberries, grapefruit, bananas, onion, tomatoes, peppers, and whatever else looks good at the time. The only produce I'v...Read More