Victoria Journals

Victoria is for Lovers!

A February 2004 trip to Victoria by ThereSheGoes

Crystal Garden Photo, Victoria, British Columbia More Photos
Quote: For something different, my boyfriend and I took a ferry up to our favorite neighbor to the north: Canada! Our wacky adventures are detailed in this journal.

Victoria is for Lovers!

Parliament building Photo, Victoria, British Columbia
The ferry ride over was so much fun! We also saw The Royal British Columbia Museum, which was wonderful. Also, we stopped at a candy store to stock up on crazy English candy bars.

Don't look suspicious when trying to cross the border (or have of candy bars in your bag). I personally don't think a large amount of chocolate is suspicious.

Take the ferry up, then just walk around, if you are able to. Everything is so close, it seems a shame to drive and miss the little shops on the way.

Old Spaghetti Factory

Restaurant | "The Old Spaghetti Factory"

We went here on Valentine's Day for dinner, and should have gotten reservations. We had a 90 minute wait, but walked around the area to pass the time.

I have never been disappointed at one of these restaurants (they seem to be everywhere I go), and this one was great like the rest. Friendly (although frenzied due to the crowd) servers and delicious spaghetti. Dinner includes loaves of bread with garlic butter, salad, hot tea, and a small cup of ice cream for dessert. The funky decor also keeps a constant stream of conversation going.

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on March 25, 2004

Old Spaghetti Factory
703 Douglas Street
Victoria, British Columbia V8W 2B4

Crystal Garden

Crystal Garden Photo, Victoria, British Columbia
Crystal Garden is an indoor rainforest. I got the recommendation to visit on a cold, rainy day, which it was. Coming inside was like stepping off the plane into Hawaii. Warm, humid air greets you, along with lush green plants and brightly colored birds. There was a koi pond with the largest koi I have ever seen. Two huge blue parrots squak loudly when people approach. Upstairs they have lemurs in quite small cages, and they like to look at the crowds looking back at them. There was a cage with box turtles and some kind of monkey in it, all were eating at the same time. The butterfly exhibit I hear is much better in the late spring, but it was still neat to see the few they had in the butterfly exhibit...Read More

Member Rating 2 out of 5 on March 25, 2004

Crystal Garden
713 Douglas Street
Victoria, British Columbia

Royal British Columbia Museum

Attraction | "The Royal British Columbia Museum"

Royal British Columbia Museum Photo, Victoria, British Columbia
This is the best museum I have seen. I came here once as a small child, and it made such an impression on me that I had to return to see if it was all I remembered. It was, and more. You start walking through the coast regions, seeing the different mammals and birds living by the sea. You move then through the woods, seeing bears, elk, and a cougar. Plus, if you stand in the middle of the domed room, it sounds like you are on a microphone, but only you can hear it. You then work your way through the first settlers of the region. You can see totem poles and assorted carvings and jewelry. Moving through the years, you discover an entire town built into the museum, circa late 1800s. You can look in ...Read More

Member Rating 5 out of 5 on March 25, 2004