St. Petersburg Journals

A July 2001 trip to St. Petersburg by texana

Quote: Since Mother decided to retire to Florida, I've been making twice-yearly trips to St. Petersburg, & I decided to make the best of it. I've gotten messages from many people on IGOUGO who are making the same trips to Florida--should we start a club? Perhaps we could exchange mothers? Meet for an 'early bird special'. Sweat!

St. Petersburg, Florida

I will admit, under duress, that I've grown fond of the Gulf of Mexico and Tampa Bay. There's a lot to say for living a 5 minute walk from a major body of water. I've learned to see & do a lot for little money in St. Pete. I'm 'out' my airfare for the trip, sleep on Mother's sofa, and have some time on my own between trips to the grocery store & Eckerd's Drug Store. I've done a lot of walking in the area & have favorite places to see.

Well, you really must drive.

Early Bird Specials

If you spend any time in St. Pete at all, you will begin to notice signs for 'early bird specials.' Mother knows where all of these are. They usually require that you eat dinner very early, say 4:30 pm, and choose from a special priced menu. At first I hated these, but after a few years I began to see some reason in them. Perhaps it happened when I got my AARP membership card at 50. They are usually a good value for money, but give you a very long evening as you are home prior to the Evening News. I held up very well until one waitress thought I was Mother's husband! Oh, well. I'll never wear that shirt again--it must have been the shirt. Prices are 20% to 30% lower than the re...Read More

Member Rating 3 out of 5 on November 4, 2000

Early Bird Specials
Throughout St. Petersburg
St. Petersburg, Florida

The new bridge is a vast improvement over the old bridge, which used to scare the living daylights out of me. Both bridges arched high over Tampa Bay in order to let the ships pass, but the old bridge left you with a feeling that you were driving while staring straight up. A miserable feeling. I never trusted the old bridge and when it was hit by a ship and parts of it fell into the sea, I turned out to be right. The new, beautiful bridge is still high, but the approaches are longer so you don't feel so awful. The views and the bridge are beautiful. This is a toll bridge. Curiously, I still sometimes take the long way around to get to Sarasota. I really am not comfortable driving this brid...Read More

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on November 2, 2000

Sunshine Skyway Bridge
between St. Petersburg and Sarasota

The Dali Museum

Attraction | "Salvidor Dali Art Museum"

Hunt for parking, and don't give up. This museum is worth dealing with crowds, sometimes masses of people. I never understood Dali until I saw his really large works. Now I'll never think about him as melting clocks again. No place for children, they get bored in 5 minutes. But people drag them along. This has to be one of the finest museums in the world. How did it get here?

Member Rating 4 out of 5 on November 5, 2000

The Dali Museum
One Dali Boulevard
St. Petersburg 33701

This is the smaller airport on the St. Petersburg-Clearwater side of Tampa Bay on Hwy 19. It's much easier to get in and out of. Often the less expensive airlines offer flights. It's much closer to St. Pete than the big airport over in Tampa.

With Florida traffic what it is, that's an issue. If you use a 'bargain finder' such as Quikbook, likely this is an airport where you can get a cheaper ticket. Car rentals available.

Due to the general slow down in the economy, fewer flights are available, but you can still get your dates.

I've driven my mother miles and miles and hours and hours around the St. Pete area. Where? (in case you have the same task). Drive the Beach road along St. Pete Beach all the up to Clearwater Beach. Stop for ice cream along the way. For a break, get off the barrier islands & zip into Bellair. It's a beautiful area and actually is a little bit above sea level. A hill in Florida! When you run out of road on Clearwater Beach go over to the mainland and head north on OLD Highway 19 all the way to Tarpon Springs. If you are lucky, the traffic will be bad and it will take a couple hours. With the slow down in the economy, there is much less tourist activity in this part of Florida...Read More
The waters off the beaches of the St. Petersburg area are shallow. I've always noticed sharks, but never gave them much of a thought until the recent shark attacks.

Although I love swimming at dawn, I'm stepping into the water later when more people are around.

I can't promise you that these beaches are safe from shark attacks, but I still swim off them.

So far so good!

I've logged an incredible number of FF miles hauling back and forth to Florida. Delta gives 1000 each way. American figures actual miles of about 960. However if I can get a really cheap flight, I pass the opportunity to get miles. I figure the miles are worth slightly less than 3 cents each. I'd rather travel cheap and have the money in my pocket than get the miles. Save some of your miles for those emergency trips when you have to haul out to see Mother in the hospital. If you have a miles award certificate in hand, you can go out to your airport and get a ticket for a flight. I telephone ahead to get a reservation. Both American and Delta are very good about g...Read More